Tripod recomendations

Trbo323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so long story short i have a tripod but i didnt like the head on it so i got a different one, simple right? turns out my tripod doesnt use a standard thread mount for the head so this $50 head that i got i cant do anything with now untill i get a new tripod with a standard mount. so if possible im looking for a tripod that i can buy without the head on it if that can happen.

I guess the other option, even though its a long shot is to find a monopod that will fit into my tripod (it has a built in monopod). is this an option?

so im looking for a tripod that has a monopod built in and without the head if that makes a difference and trying not to break the bank, $50 maybe if that can happen?

Unless you are ready to spend money, you will be getting a ****ty tripod. Tripods are the same as the rest of camera gear, generally the more expensive it is, the higher quality of the product.

Save up and get a real man's (or woman's) tripod.

im getting a 3 legged thing ( you can get them without a head too). They look and from what i hear perform amazing(ly).

honestly i just dont see the reason, take the tripod i have right now for instance, it was $30 and with the exception of not having a standard mount and the head sucks the rest of it has done everything i have asked of it . has a built in monopod and has been good to me, so if i got a $150 tripod, at least right now i dont think id get $150 worth of use out of it.

not to mention im a college student, spring quarter just started and money is tight

so, around $50, must have a standard mount so i can put my head on it and preferable to have a built in monopod but i could live without that if need be. i need a tripod for my photo class this quarter. what do you recommend with that in mind?

50$ is a fairly small budged for something good... unless you can find a decent one on craigslist for that price.

In order to determine what tripod is best, you need to let people know what camera you're using and what lens. Heavier and sturdier tripods are required for bigger lens and more pro bodies.
The better tripod will always cost more than crappy ones for some good reasons. Last week I walked in a photo-store and I don't remember seeing anything below 110 (but they all came with the head)

Yes I know better ones cost more, we can move on from that. I am going to go find one in my price range I was just looking for opinions on what brands to look at or stay away from. I don't need the run around lesson on why more expensive tripods are better, I need a tripod. Can anyone actually help?

rocketfish CF tripod

Yes I know better ones cost more, we can move on from that. I am going to go find one in my price range I was just looking for opinions on what brands to look at or stay away from. I don't need the run around lesson on why more expensive tripods are better, I need a tripod. Can anyone actually help?

a google search would have gotten you hits within a second.

What kind of camera do you own? what is your largest lens? will you want to travel with this tripod?

recognized brands for that price would be slik. read Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan for tripod info. obviously you dont need to spend 600 bucks, but its food for thought.

as an aside, you should really do your own research. i know its quite intimidating because of all the options, but you need to figure out what you want in a tripod and what best fits your budget.

I have the Sunpak 6000PG. Pistol grip+ ball head. $50. Couldn't ask for more at this stage of my photography endeavors.

Higher end Giottos have tripods that can be converted into monopods. This tripod folds the legs for a quasi monopod and is only $107:
Benro Travel Flat A0180T 4-Section Aluminum Tripod A0180T B&H

I started out with a $50 Sunpak aluminum that produced what I thought were exceptional pictures until I finally raised enough funds for a Gitzo CF Systematic tripod with an Acratech head $1K+. Now I see that there really is a huge difference in having a stable, weight bearing, vibration absorbing tripod system. But more important than the tripod is how I take the picture; mirror up, remote control or time delay. The vibration/movement caused by pushing a shutter button or mirror slap (especially in HDR) is, in my opinion much more than the difference between a cheap and expensive tripod. Also there are probably adapter mounting screws that can make your camera fit any tripod.

a google search would have gotten you hits within a second.

What kind of camera do you own? what is your largest lens? will you want to travel with this tripod?

sony a55 with a sigma 18-200 and a sony FL-58 flash is the most this tripod will have to support.

and yes, i tried the google search, of course it game me a million tripods, you may know which ones are good and which ones to stay away from but I don't, hence the reason i came here. for someone like me who doesn't know what to look for google throwing a million tripods at you doesn't help. as for travel, i have a camera bag that has straps for a tripod, i really hate hiking and i wouldn't worry about air travel. so i don't need a CF one (would be nice i know) but something built to support 100lbs wouldn't be too fun to lug around campus either

mirror slap or vibration from the camera itself wont be a issue

"rocketfish CF tripod"

im seeing a few used prices on this that may be doable, i dont see a monopod built in, is that correct?

"I have the Sunpak 6000PG. Pistol grip+ ball head. $50"

thanks ill take a close look at that

"Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Aluminum Tripod Kit B&H Photo Video

$203.71 before shipping "

please go re-read the thread

again, i know there is a difference between the lower end ones and more expensive ones, but right now i have a decent head, and a tripod that i have to fight the head on, i was looking to use the new head on the existing legs but that turned out to not work, so as of now, my options are to use a tripod with a head that i have to fight, or hand hold my camera and by the time i save up money for a nice one (which will take some time seeing as i can not work more than 19 hours a week by law..o ya...and that thing called school) my class will be over. I know at some point i will get a better one but for now i need something like a honda civic to get me from point A to point B, then i can worry about saving up for a ferrari or lamborghini. for now though i just need something functional that can get me through this class, and really i just need the legs as long as they have a standard screw mount on top

Last edited:
honestly i might suggest you just get a 30 dollar one from walmart or something. Why do you feel you need the monopod addition? what does the head you have give you that a cheap tripod doesnt give you?

I won an ebay auction for a manfrotto 190QCB with a cheap, but useable, 200 2 way head, $76, and love it. I will upgrade the head eventually with an 808, that head costs about $125. I use a Canon t2i and my heaviest lens now is the 100-400L, weighs nearly 5lbs I think.

You will be wasting $30 or $50 if that's how much you are going to spend on a brand new tripod. So perhaps you should look on craigslist. Good luck on that though!

First of all, what kind of gear are you going to be using on the tripod, and for what kind of purpose?

Secondly, you should be able to get very decent legs for less than $100. My Slik Pro 330 DX is about $100 total. It comes with both legs and mount. So I'd imagine you can get something more than you've asked for for $80.

Thirdly, I don't know about monopod/tripod combo. However, you can always extend one leg longer than the rest and use it as monopod. Be creative!

Most reactions

Back