Tripod related questions

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been feeling limited without a tripod, and must save some money for one. Perhaps I can buy one this summer? Anyway...

... I'm prepared to invest a fair amount in a tripod. I need one that can handle the nature. Please get me right, I'm not going to shoot in really harsh winds, but you know, a tripod that can handle everyday weather. Also, it should be able to stand ground in running water. Not big rivers, obviously, but streams and stuff. You get the idea.

All over, a sturdy tripod that don't dye on me. I've been looking on Induro Carbon 8X Stativ CT014 with Induro BHD1 ballhead. That'll cost me around $680, which is much money for a student.

I am assuming that this tripod and ballhead can take the weight that a canon eos 40d with non-crazy lenses mounted on it. I'm hoping to buy a tokina 11-16mm f2.8 once, as well as a tele lens, perhaps one in the 70-200mm family. Would that stuff hold that?

Now, perhaps some of you have other suggestions that fit my tripod needs? Also, I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience with mentioned equipment.

What's more important, a brilliant tripod or a brilliant ball head? I guess both should of decent quality, but if one had the chance to buy a good tripod and a GOD ballhead, would that be better than a GODLIKE tripod with a good ballhead?

Compaq :D

I've been feeling limited without a tripod, and must save some money for one. Perhaps I can buy one this summer? Anyway...

... I'm prepared to invest a fair amount in a tripod. I need one that can handle the nature. Please get me right, I'm not going to shoot in really harsh winds, but you know, a tripod that can handle everyday weather. Also, it should be able to stand ground in running water. Not big rivers, obviously, but streams and stuff. You get the idea.

All over, a sturdy tripod that don't dye on me. I've been looking on Induro Carbon 8X Stativ CT014 with Induro BHD1 ballhead. That'll cost me around $680, which is much money for a student.

I am assuming that this tripod and ballhead can take the weight that a canon eos 40d with non-crazy lenses mounted on it. I'm hoping to buy a tokina 11-16mm f2.8 once, as well as a tele lens, perhaps one in the 70-200mm family. Would that stuff hold that?

Now, perhaps some of you have other suggestions that fit my tripod needs? Also, I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience with mentioned equipment.

What's more important, a brilliant tripod or a brilliant ball head? I guess both should of decent quality, but if one had the chance to buy a good tripod and a GOD ballhead, would that be better than a GODLIKE tripod with a good ballhead?

Compaq :D

My $30 "Quantery" budget tripod I carry and throw around on my motorcycles handles the Tokina 11-16mm, D7000 and grip full of batteries just fine in wind. And oh believe me, it withstands some inclement weather too. Not that you want a tripod THAT cheap, but you're talking about a lot of tripod to be on the budget you mentioned....just sayn'
icononethumbup.gif

I've had the (mis)fortune to use a poor tripod. It stood still on the floor, but it wriggled like a worm when I touched it :p

Last edited:
The one you mentioned, is made of carbon fiber, which is very light and very strong...which makes it very expensive.
If you don't need one that is so light, you can just get one made of aluminum and save a lot of money.

My favorite brand is Manfrotto, most of their stuff is very good. Check out their 190Pro legs or 055xpro legs.

The head is an important part, but I think that it's mostly a personal choice. Some like 3-way heads, some like pan & tilt type heads (although they are more suited to video), some like ball heads and then there are specialty heads, gimbal heads etc.

I have a Vanguard tripod model atla pro 263, which similar to the Manfrotto 055pro that Mike metioned. It is solid and is rated to hold about 15lbs. I believe Giottos has one that'll hold around the same weight and they're much cheaper than what you listed. I probably wouldn't want to backpack with any of the aluminum ones but toting it a little way shouldn't be too bad. As for the head, I choose a ball head this time as my old first tripod had a pan head and I thought I would try a ball head, I like it somewhat better but that's my personal opinion.

I'll second Big Mike. Basically, there are three things that define a top of the line tripod...
1. quality
2. weight
3. cost

You can have a great quality, light weight tripod for a lot of money. Or, you can have a good quality, medium weight tripod for an average amount of money. Or you can have a crappy tripod that is light weight for almost no money. In any case, I would recommend you sacrifice the weight requirement. If you get a heavier tripod, you can still get good to great quality at a reasonable cost. I would also second the Manfrotto suggestion.

As far as the ball head, buy the best you can afford. A good quality ball head will make your photography a lot less frustrating and you will be able to pass it down to your children.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back