What's new

Tripod that will work with the BR FastenR-T1

cedricb

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Location
Ottawa, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a R-strap and was looking for a new tripod that will accommodate the FastenR-T1 under the quick release plate. I'm looking to spend under $200 and would prefer a ballhead. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at the MK293A4-A0RC2 which sells at $180 +tx. Any experience with this model or similar?

Thanks for you inputs!
 
No one has uses the 290 series from manfrotto?
 
I use the same strap connector you have. I have not found any tripods that I can mount the camera to with the D ring still on. If I know I am going to be using a tripod i take off the D ring and put on the tripod mount.
 
Yeah but did you buy the fastenR-T1 with the articulated D ring? Apparently, it was designed to work with the manfrotto RC2 quick release plates.

My question might not have been clear from the beginning. My questions are: as anyone used the aforementioned tripod (Manfrotto 293 with the bullhead quick release kit) and did anyone get the FastenR-T1 working with another tripod quick release system.
 
I have that connector on all my equipment, I use it with the 460MG head on my 190CXPRO3 legs, nice combo, never have to take the QR plate off my equipment.

Allan
 
I use the same strap connector you have. I have not found any tripods that I can mount the camera to with the D ring still on. If I know I am going to be using a tripod i take off the D ring and put on the tripod mount.
Did you try disconnecting the strap from the camera...?

That's the only way it's going to work, and also probably the reason the strap connects with a quick release clip...

Wait ... nevermind. I thought you were using a quick release plate. Use the D-ring that comes on the quick release plate, and problem solved.

edit
Unless that stylized "R" is really important to you, I would just use the ring that comes on the RC2 plate. I don't understand why you would pay extra to take off a part that comes with it, only to put another one just like it back on...
 
Last edited:
Here was my easy way to solve this problem with my R-Straps. All my bodies have Arca Swiss plates on them already. I put a couple of these RRS Quick Release clamps on the bottom of my R-Straps. Camera's lock in fine and I have never had a problem yet. I would not use the lever kind, but the screw kind I have no concerns with. Works perfectly with my monpod and tripods as all of them have arca swiss quick release clamps.
 
Unless that stylized "R" is really important to you, I would just use the ring that comes on the RC2 plate. I don't understand why you would pay extra to take off a part that comes with it, only to put another one just like it back on...

Because the one you take off is thin, cheap, pot metal where the ring does not go completely through the connector and can easily spread apart and let your camera crash to the ground. It was never designed to hold weight. The new one with the stylized "R" is heavy steal, solid, and even rotates easier (oh, and looks cooler too!).

Think of it this way. Those $0.99 carabiners they sell at the grocery store checkouts look just like the real thing, why would anyone pay $15-$30 for one from Omega Pacific that doesn't even come in as many cool colors?

Allan
 
O|||||||O said:
Did you try disconnecting the strap from the camera...?

edit
Unless that stylized "R" is really important to you, I would just use the ring that comes on the RC2 plate. I don't understand why you would pay extra to take off a part that comes with it, only to put another one just like it back on...

Currently, that's what I'm doing but on long treks, it takes a toll on my time, unscrewing the D ring, screwing the tripod, unscrewing the tripod, screwing the d ring back on... All that with my pack on my back!

Is the d-ring that comes with the RC2 plates strong enough?


gryphonslair99 said:
Here was my easy way to solve this problem with my R-Straps. All my bodies have Arca Swiss plates on them already. I put a couple of these RRS Quick Release clamps on the bottom of my R-Straps. Camera's lock in fine and I have never had a problem yet. I would not use the lever kind, but the screw kind I have no concerns with. Works perfectly with my monpod and tripods as all of them have arca swiss quick release clamps.

I don't really understand how this fixes my screwing unscrewing problem... How's the strap attached to the camera?

flea77 said:
Because the one you take off is thin, cheap, pot metal where the ring does not go completely through the connector and can easily spread apart and let your camera crash to the ground. It was never designed to hold weight. The new one with the stylized "R" is heavy steal, solid, and even rotates easier (oh, and looks cooler too!).

Think of it this way. Those $0.99 carabiners they sell at the grocery store checkouts look just like the real thing, why would anyone pay $15-$30 for one from Omega Pacific that doesn't even come in as many cool colors?

Allan

Exactly what I was thinking!


I ordered the 293a4 with the RC2 ball head just to see (will not be forced to buy). How will it treat me? I have a d90 with 18-55 and 55-300 and I don't plan on buying additional lenses for some time. My ideal set would be 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 but that may be years from now! Whatdo you guys think?
 
Currently, that's what I'm doing but on long treks, it takes a toll on my time, unscrewing the D ring, screwing the tripod, unscrewing the tripod, screwing the d ring back on... All that with my pack on my back!
Does your tripod use quick release plates, or does it just have a threaded stud that you screw into the camera? If it just has a stud, the only solution I can see (other than buying a different tripod head) is to attach the strap somewhere else.

If you have a quick release plate, and your tripod can use it - you shouldn't really have to be taking anything apart just to put it on the tripod. Disconnect the strap from the ring, then re-attach when you're done with the tripod.

Is the d-ring that comes with the RC2 plates strong enough?
I thought so, but flea77 says it's not. The D-ring on the RC2 does not rotate after you tighten it down either, that may or may not be an issue for you (it hasn't been for me).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom