Tripod under $90

Squirrel9521

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Could someone please suggest a decent tripod under $90? It's for a friend's birthday present and I'm not sure what to look for when buying a tripod since I've never bought one myself. Please help!

Does this tripod need to be light for hiking? What type of camera will this tripod be holding? You could probably find a decent generic brand tripod with a ball head (or pan/tilt if they prefer) on ebay for under $90.

No, this tripod isn't going to be used for hiking and such. She's going to use this tripod for her digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 3200) to take night shots, landscape shots, etc. Just simple use basically.

Could someone please tell me the difference between a ball head and a pan/tilt head?

If the tripod just has to support a small relatively lightweight digital camera I would suggest Manfrotto 719B digi tripod and ball head. I've never used one but played with one at a local camera shop. Not enough support for a heavier SLR and lens but perfect for a digital camera. Should be had for around $90 bucks +- $ at online stores. IIRC the local shop was selling for about $120. I've always been impressed with Manfrotto/Bogen's tripods and heads. Not to mention a wide number of products at a wide range of prices. As someone mentioned, a good head and legs can be had fairly cheep on ebay.

I prefer the fast and convenient use of a ball head with quick release. The head rotates around a single ball. The ball can be locked into place via a single knob.

Pan/tilt head can be adjusted at each of the three axis seperately with three locking knobs.

Most reactions

Back