Tripod

Lol it looks ok but I dont like the fliptab legs lol. I know Im going to add weight with screw top but I hated the flip tops on my old tripod, and well crap just looked and every tripod that looks decent has flip tab. Hopefully its just because my otherone was ****ty quality. Found a couple with screw type legs and they are Manfrotto complete legs/head for about 200.

Thanks Bitter, I appreciate your advice I do. Can I ask why you prefer ball head over plate. I had a cheap video tripod with flip tops and I hated it. It wore out quickly and wouldnt stay open on one side so screw type is one factor I know I want.

Ball head has a nice range of motion for positioning. And the tightening lever/handle doesn't poke you in the chest when you go to look through the viewfinder. I had a gifted cheap tripod that had that, and it was frustrating. I can't remember all the reasons why though.

My current tripod has flip tabs which I like better, but they are TIGHT. I thought they would free up a bit, but they haven't yet. :grumpy: On the flips side, the afore mentioned cheap tripod had the twist rings. I didn't mind them, they worked fine, but took more time to adjust.

Thanks for your advice guys, I think I am going to go for a sturdier tripod that can hold a bit more for now. I would hate to turn my back and have it fall over or something. Anyways thanks.

I have two "good" tripods, a Velbon Sherpa 200 that comes with a very smooth operating tilt pan head with quick release plate and a Manfrotto 190QC with a 352 RC ball head & quick release plate. The Manfrotto is more versatile because it has three leg spreads the widest of which allows the tripod to squat down so the lens is only a half meter from the ground - great for flower shots etc. To get lower I use a Gorilla pod.

The Sherpa sells for around $100, a Manfrotto will cost quite a bit more.

Thanks Gryphon, I did read it and thanks Ron for the advice. I dont imagine that spending a bit more for a stable tripod is bad since it essentially is protecting my camera. Will let you know what I get. Am actually flying into a city (Regina Sk) this weekend and see they have a couple camera stores so I might go check it out and see what they have in stock. Just your mom and pop type stores but these are the best from experience.

don't waste your money on something really fancy and stuff. imo, all tripods are the same except for maybe special features wear you mount the camera. you can get a really good tripod from walmart or something for less than $20. trust me. i got one from walmart for that price and it has served me well for a long time and has exceeded my expectations

don't waste your money on something really fancy and stuff. imo, all tripods are the same except for maybe special features wear you mount the camera. you can get a really good tripod from walmart or something for less than $20. trust me. i got one from walmart for that price and it has served me well for a long time and has exceeded my expectations

You trust your $500 dollar + set up on a cheap $20 tripod?? :er:

yup. there's nothing wrong with it. i dont know why you would waste hundreds of dollars on a tripod when your all the same. the only way something would happen is if you accidentally knocked it over. and you can knock over a $500 tripod too.

Last edited:
^ You can use a cheap tripod because you've got a pretty light setup. A $20 Walmart tripod wouldn't be able to effectively hold a metal bodied professional camera with a higher-end metal housing lens. I don't think I'd ever be at the point where I'd need to spend $500 on a tripod, but I don't think I'd go with a as-cheap-as-possible one, either.

Inexpensive tripods also usually can't get up to my eye level, even fully extended.

I had a cheap one from walmart and the fliptabs on the one leg didnt work anymore. It wouldnt hold one side up. Im not going to spend a ridiculous amount on a tripod but I am going to invest in one rated for more than 4 lbs.

This Manfrotto | 7301YB 4-Section Aluminum Tripod w/ 3-Way | 7301YB

or this

Manfrotto | 055XDB Tripod Legs (Black) with | 055XDB,804RC2

or maybe

Manfrotto | 7302YB 4-Section Aluminum Tripod w/ | 7302YB | B&H

I need to do a review and compare the three models. Having no real experience with tripod shooting before I dont think I will notice a difference between ballhead and quick release but maybe the camera store in Regina will have something for me to try. I would like to stay under 150 and I know the first one is more atm.

There are a couple of Slik models that look good too but I have to look it up again. :meh:

yup. there's nothing wrong with it. i dont know why you would waste hundreds of dollars on a tripod when your all the same. the only way something would happen is if you accidentally knocked it over. and you can knock over a $500 tripod too.

Cheap tripods are more conducive to camera shake, and tend to fail more easily....but whatever, it's your money to spend.

Tell you what. You bring your cheap tripod and I will bring my 1D MkIII with my 400mm f2.8 attached.

If your cheap tripod can properly support that gear while I use it, I will pay you the $10 or $15 you spent on the tripod.

If it can't you pay me $11,000.00 cash money to pay the cost of replacing the two. Oh and I want the cash up front held in trust at a bonded financial institution. We got a deal??? :D

055XPROB: Manfrotto Legset: link

486RC2 Ballhead and Quick Release Plate: link

055XPROB: Manfrotto Legset :thumbup:

486RC2 Ballhead and Quick Release Plate :thumbdown:

If you must go with a manfrotto ball head get the 488 RC2. The 486 isn't designed or rated for a lot of weight. The 488 is a better choice for an all around head.

Even better, I would look at something like a Giottos ball head with out a QR plate at all and pick the QR plate style you like. My preference is Arca-swiss style. The advantage of a good quality Giottos head is the separate friction control knob that allows for more control of the head when making adjustments and protects from ball drop when loosening the ball head lock knob. With the Giottos you can order the head without a QR plate at all.

Arca-swiss QR Pros: Most dependable, sturdy system I have seen. I trust it with thousands of dollars of gear. There is a ton of Arca-swiss compatible gear.

Arca-swiss QR Cons: The QR plate is going to be around $75-$100.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back