Tripod

tunaucf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy mid-price tripod for canon 50D and heavy lens ie 24-70L or 70-200L IS. Any recommendations?

no more than $150. Thanks

This is a good read on the subject: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

You don't need to spend as much as Thom does, but the thought process is the same. Manfrotto, Gitzo, Fesoli, and many others make good tripods that meet your needs. The important thing at point is to decide what your needs are now and for the future so you only have to do this once.

Last edited:
Most people underestimate the importance of a good tripod. Spending $150 for a tripod doesn't make sense to me when you have those fancy lenses. Either way its your money. $150 will get you a entry level panning head 6'ish tripod. You should consider spending around $500 for a decent ball head and carbon fiber tripod.

No matter what you get look for a center hook to add a bag of weight for stability. You don't want those fancy L lenses crashing down.

While I agree with edbouble's sentiment, I don't think you need to spend $500. I use a set of Manfrotto 190 Pro legs with a 468 ball head; that holds up everything from my F5 with a 70-200 2.8 to my Mamiya AFD with a 150mm without any problems.

My suggestion would be to go used - you can expect to save somewhere between 30 and 50% for decent used legs and heads. Craig's List or your local used gear store is the place to look. Manfrotto is excellent gear; Velbon, and Sunpak make some decent consumer grade tripods (but also some junk - be careful).

Just make sure that whatever you settle on, it's weight rating is approximately twice that of your heaviest body/lens combination.

Thanks for all the opions. I decided to go with manfrotto 055xpro and 468 head.

I recommend Giottos tripods.

www.giottos.com - look at the MT-9261

In your price range look at their MT line of Aluminum tripods. Look at the 3 leg section tripods, and be sure to get one high enough that most of your use will not require the center column be raised.

giottos mt-9261

Personally I am not all that fond of the 486/488 series of ball heads from Manfrotto. They lack one major component in a good ball head being a separate friction control knob. Giottos makes some fine ball heads at a reasonable cost that will support as much weight as the 486 that has a separate friction control knob.

Another advantage to the Giottos is you can get all of their ball heads with out a QR plate, allowing you to choose the system you prefer. I personally like Arca-swiss format. It is however an expensive format as it is probably the most secure system on the market.

I would also suggest that you look at something a bit bigger than the 486. That is a mini-ball head. The 488 or midi size ball head is better suited for general all around use.

Personally I am not all that fond of the 486/488 series of ball heads from Manfrotto. They lack one major component in a good ball head being a separate friction control knob. Giottos makes some fine ball heads at a reasonable cost that will support as much weight as the 486 that has a separate friction control knob.

Another advantage to the Giottos is you can get all of their ball heads with out a QR plate, allowing you to choose the system you prefer. I personally like Arca-swiss format. It is however an expensive format as it is probably the most secure system on the market.

I would also suggest that you look at something a bit bigger than the 486. That is a mini-ball head. The 488 or midi size ball head is better suited for general all around use.
:confused: Whatchew talkin' 'bout Willis????

The 468 has a separate friction control, pano base and is available with either a fixed Manfrotto mounting or a "choose your own"

13568-m468mgmain2.jpg

Wells, It is good to see that Manfrotto has upgraded their heads. I retract my disparaging remarks about the manfrotto heads.:mrgreen:

It has been a few years since I looked at them since I use BH-55 from RRS.

Actually, I really like A-S, RRS, and Giottos gear, but I've just always had Manfrotto and been happy with it. Either way, you're getting good stuff.

Don't forget the used market. Unlike fancy electronics and sensitive glass, tripods are tough to screw up. You can save a lot of money if you shop used. I bought my Bogen 3021 legs and Gitzo 1377 head on e-bay for a lot less than half of the cost of a new pod and head (If I remember correctly, the total cost of the two was about $150). The legs looked a bit beat up, but work fine and the head was pristine. Someone was selling a perfect Gitzo CF pod at our local camera club swap meet last weekend for $225 (I hesitated and lost the deal :( )

Most reactions

Back