Tripods....

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok for those who are experienced with this:

What I want to know is what kind of tricks have you learned using a tripod. I ask this, because I have finally gone and purchased a Manfrotto to replace my old Tilt-All that my father purchased in 1612. :lol: (lol).

Seriously, what kind of tricks do you know, and what can you pass along?

It took a lot of work, but eventually I was able to get mine to Sit and Stay. :biggrin:

Tricks? For a tripod?

...Umm...Don't leave it at home?

ha..........ha..........

Ok. let me re-phrase this... what do you do to mount or counter balance your camera w/your mega lens, etc. How do you prevent it from tipping over when in wierd positions etc... Seriously.

On uneven ground extend one (or two) legs more (or at more of an angle) than the others. Just make sure the head is at the center of gravity.

Use a tripod collar with long lenses.

Hang your camera bag off of the tripod for added stability (from the center column...), or make some sandbags like Jerry did.

Dont carry it like a gun, I was walking around town and a cop pulled over and questioned me. Problem was resolved after a few moments after I showed him my camera, but it's best to avoid situations like that.

Dont carry it like a gun, I was walking around town and a cop pulled over and questioned me. Problem was resolved after a few moments after I showed him my camera, but it's best to avoid situations like that.

That's happened to me too...

I do use a rifle sling on mine though...
(makes it much easier to carry)

Looking around on the net, i found one item of interest... In beach sand, use tennis balls cut apart to hold the tripod on the sand. this will prevent it from sinking. You could buy the feet from the manufacturer, but this is cheaper.

Good idea, but if I was shooting on the beach - I would push the legs into the sand on purpose...

I use Manfrotto legs and ball heads. Mine will support a D700 gripped, 70-200mm f/2.8 or 300mm f/4 and a SB-800 hot shoe mounted quite easily. The few times I've had the rig in precarious positions (like on a steep mountain side) I usually extend the fat leg section first and the thinner section as needed. I will also hang my camera bag on the tripod if necessary to stabilize (although you can use anything you have at hand). If using the center column in the horizontal position, I generally keep the camera positioned close to one of the legs for better balance. I haven't needed to thus far, but if in the horizontal position, you could hang a counter weight on the extended portion of the center column.

I guess one trick is to make sure the the legs/head combo is capable to handle the weight of your gear by a factor of 2. Creep is such a PITA.

I have never been stopped by police, but does aqnyone use a tripod bag? Especially for rain, snow, etc?

I guess one trick is to make sure the the legs/head combo is capable to handle the weight of your gear by a factor of 2. Creep is such a PITA.

Plus, you'll want to account for hanging ballast off of it.

I have never been stopped by police, but does aqnyone use a tripod bag? Especially for rain, snow, etc?

No, I don't. I just use a sling.

Personally, I don't care if my tripod gets wet. More worried about the camera...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back