Triptych project - Help!

amywalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was wondering whether any of you could help me decide one which series to use, I am quite happy with the far left and right photos, but cannot decide on which middle piece. :confused:

triptych2.png

triptych1.png

I feel the first has the strongest shot in middle, but then doesn't work as well compositionally/as a set with the other two. What do you think?

Amy.

1 and good job! What's it for?

A college project - I'm studying BTEC photography and the unit is location. Going to produce a few triptych's but this is the first - nice that you can show off three shots in one final piece!

I like the first one. I see neither set "as a set" They are not a sequence nor do they do anything else for me as a set. Therefore "set" is no consideration to me. The second middle photo has less detail and does not get as nice of a reaction from me as the first.

Effective Triptychs should be tied together in some way, and the images should relate to one another. These are seemingly random. You also need to consider (loosely) the composition of the three as a whole.

Look at things like where horizon lines fall across all three images, leading lines across all three images, tonal values, shapes, etc...

The second set might work if you cropped/arranged the 3rd photo so the hills in 2 and 3 line up.

But these are not strong triptychs in my opinion because they have little in common besides water. In particular, the 3rd image in the first set feels out of place because it suggests people -- boats and houses -- whereas the other two do not.

Effective Triptychs should be tied together in some way, and the images should relate to one another. These are seemingly random. You also need to consider (loosely) the composition of the three as a whole.

Look at things like where horizon lines fall across all three images, leading lines across all three images, tonal values, shapes, etc...
+1.

I'd have the boats in the left frame, and not leading a viewers eye right out of the sequence on right side.

We read from left to right, and we scan images starting in the left upper quadrant just like starting to read a page of text.

With the boats in the left frame they can be used to lead the eye to the center frame.

Consider dodging the foreground and cliffs of all except the rock island in the background. That one needs the sky burnt so it more closely matches the sky exposure of the other 3 photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back