Trouble cropping

Raizels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I'm new, and I]m having some trouble deciding how to crop images so as to show of the object to the best advantage.

I'd love to hear any pointers anyone might have on this subject.
Here is an example of an image i love but would love better copped:

100_6172-2.jpg

Thanks!

Well, to my mind, that all white part on the left must disappear completely. So I'd crop off all the left up to that blurred upright leaf (halfway rolled up, obscuring some of the rose hips in the background). Then I'd crop in from the bottom, hoping I'd thus restore the usual print ratio (which here is 4:3, I should say) again.

After that I'd at least send this one through "Auto Contrasts" to see what it'd look like then, it sure will "pop" more, and I'd sharpen it a bit more with the help of an Unsharp Mask.

Wow, looks like I have my work cut out for me (pun definitely intended!)

BTW I have GIMP on my computer and not PS - are the terms the same?
Should I acquire PS to work w/ photographs instead?

Sorry, I'm not sure about the terminology on the one or the other. I have an ancient old version of Photoshop (6.0) and am familiar with those terms only. But upping the contrasts should be called just about the same or very similar things in either of the two. As to the "Unsharp Mask" ... I really can't tell. Sorry.

Would this be any better?

100_6172-23JPG.jpg

Yes, I think so.
Though a smaller aperture, more depth of field (DOF), and also the first two (most in the foreground) rose hips in focus would have been best.

I don't know how to do these things with my Kodak C613 (new here ;))

Oh, and I don't even know that camera at all... but there are others who are quite familiar with most of the brands, maybe they can help?

Thanks for your help though. I'm already looking at my photos with a different eye.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back