Trouble shooting video with my D5100. Need some help.

Lchdz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im shooting with Kit lense.

Ok so I'm kind of new at shooting video with this camera. I was trying it out the other day and I managed to lock the iso to avoid grain in low light. However my issue now is vibriation and flickering. When I view the videos on my lap top there is a lot of vibrations and is extreamly noticable.I used a tripod and it helped. However I still notice anything moving in the shot "flickering" or kind of "shaking" while moving.

Any tips or advice?

Is it a VR lens? Stabilization will help.

Also, get a T3i and ditch the Nikon.

-ken Turner

KmH said:
Have you ever owned a Nikon? DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

The image sensor in the D5100 is rated higher than the image sensor in the T3i. The T3i is a direct competitor the the higher grade Nikon D90, though the newer than the D90, D5100 and D7000 share the same image sensor.

You don't need super quality when filming a 1080p video. The T3i is far better than the D5100 for video. Everyone knows the D5100 is a better photography camera, but welcome to the DSLR video section.

-ken Turner

TheKenTurner said:
You don't need super quality when filming a 1080p video. The T3i is far better than the D5100 for video. Everyone knows the D5100 is a better photography camera, but welcome to the DSLR video section.

-ken Turner

I bought my Nikon to shoot pictures I have a Sony camcorder to record video my point is if you can't afford a video camera don't record video hotdoggy

TheKenTurner said:
Is it a VR lens? Stabilization will help.

Also, get a T3i and ditch the Nikon.

-ken Turner

I love my Nikon D5100 Ken Turdner

A couple of things. The D5100 changes exposure to light in jumps rather than smoothly. I have the exposure button set to lock on so you don't need to keep holding it. You can get away with fast changes in exposure but not slow ones. Fast exposure changes will still look smooth but slow exposure changes will let you see the jumps. Get a decent tripod and a fluid head. Turn off the VR when you do any movement on the tripod. It will look jumpy if you leave it on. Since you can't adjust the shutter speed, fast motion is going to look jumpy no matter what you do.

Blairg said:
I love my Nikon D5100 Ken Turdner

Cool story. A+. 10/10 would read again.

Btw, Canon does have better video implementation in DSLRs. Check out www.cinema5d.com

LKingston said:
A couple of things. The D5100 changes exposure to light in jumps rather than smoothly. I have the exposure button set to lock on so you don't need to keep holding it. You can get away with fast changes in exposure but not slow ones. Fast exposure changes will still look smooth but slow exposure changes will let you see the jumps. Get a decent tripod and a fluid head. Turn off the VR when you do any movement on the tripod. It will look jumpy if you leave it on. Since you can't adjust the shutter speed, fast motion is going to look jumpy no matter what you do.

You can't adjust the shutter speed on a D5100? Why do they even advertise that it does video?

-Ken Turner

Most reactions

Back