Trouble with sun glare

kt_333

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HELP!!! I have no idea how to fix this and almost ALL of my shots for this couple are full of lovely sun glare from the snow. Any and all help would be great!!

Attachments

• DSC_0326_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0326_edited-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
Can you reschedule?

I guess......but is there not a way to reduce the glare just a bit?

What post processing software do you use ?

In Lightroom you would reduce the "Highlights" slider to minimize the glare. Though if it the areas in the photo are blown out you won't have have any detail.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go with it. Do not make any excuses for it with the couple. the lighting is what it is. Process them as best as you can, and realize--that is actually a "type" of lighting condition. Some people do not mind it. Go for the light, bright, airy look. They will look at their expressions much more than the highlights. Only photographers fixate on highlights. Real people are much more keyed in on other aspects.

FYI: I attempted some adjustments on your JPG using Aperture, but got nowhere. Perhaps somebody with PS skills can tone it down some.

Like Derrel says, you might just want to assume it.

With Camera Raw (You see that you are loosing details anyway, it's just grey) :
upload_2015-11-24_4-57-11.png

Less contrast :
upload_2015-11-24_4-59-27.png

With Camera Raw, brighter.
upload_2015-11-24_4-55-17.png

Last edited:
You can do it with Lightroom or Photoshop. The bulk of the problems will be easy and some, like the man's face, will be a little harder.

I'm on my iPad and not at the computer -- otherwise I'd hover over the bright spots to see if they're actually block wn (they look blown) or see if the is any recoverable detail in those spots.

If they are blown then your screwed... blown means no recoverable detailed and it's not a matter of knowing the tools well enough -- the data is lost forever.

To avoid blown hightlights you meter specifically for the highlights ands expertly meter the shadows. Make sure they are within the dynamic range of your camera. Use fill flash to increase the light in the shadows and that will let you back off the exposure to eliminate blown highlights.

Digital sensors clip very hard when overexposed. I've read slide film of old was the same.

Unlike film, digital sensors can have extreme amounts of dynamic range though, meaning the shadows can contain a lot of information that would have been lost with film.

Thats for example why the new D810 got this new exposure mode that exposes for the highlights.

What you CAN do is making the exposure more equal. Wont win back information of the highlights, of course, just will make the final picture look more pleasing.

Most reactions

Back