What's new

Try at Night photography

abhishekdg

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Messages
175
Reaction score
11
Location
Minneapolis
My modest try at night photography with a Nikon D90 and a 35 mm f/ 1.8g lens.. I wished could have had a shot from above a bridge but will have to try to grab one.. However your comments are always welcome to help me go forward..

DSC_0080copy-1.jpg
 
I'd say you did a good job, since somehow when I've tried night photography, I've messed something up or just am not pleased with my own work. :D
 
well there you go can't have evereything can you.

Personally it is a good attempt, as I have never done this I would be a hypocrit if I downed it.

Only thing I would have liked it it darker.
 

Attachments

  • $Image1.webp
    $Image1.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 233
Nice 1st effort. I do like the darker, more saturated edit as it just pops that much more. The street sign, pole, and the four lights are all slightly out of focus. Naturally, that's where my eyes seem to keep on focusing. There is also 7 small lens glares that should be very easy to clean up in PP editing.
 
Here is one from my first night night. Actually caught a shooting star.
 

Attachments

  • $image-2015733342.webp
    $image-2015733342.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 146
Thank you so much guys for all the critical comments.. Well to admit I do not know how to remove the flares.. I have got photoshop trial version of CS5 , so if anybody could direct me as to how I could remove those flares in the sky it would be great...
 
Use the clone stamp. Alt+click to select clone and remove as needed.
 
pretty cool.

Personally, I think the heal tool is much easier than the stamp for such small things. Basically just click on the dot and it goes away...sometimes you have to click and drag for it to better compensate for the content so you don't end up with a circle of the heal. but using the heal, you don't have to worry about matching it up.

You can see where you stamped lighter blue into the darker blue. Not as noticeable because of the cloud structure...but I'm...well...I'm just like that. lol
 
I took em out with the heal tool, also removed the black spots from your dirty mirror. :-) I learned this a few days ago shooting night scenes...my dirty mirror spots didn't show up except on my dark/sunset pics. Darkened and she's done.

$DSC_0080copy-1.webp

lol, in this copy, I brought out the letters in the street name, turned the street sign black and letter white/gray to try to make it stand out...and try to take Joel's eyes off the street lamps. don't think it's quite enough pop to drift the eye though. :-D


$DSC_0080copy-1.webp
 
Last edited:
I'm assuming you used a filter on the lens. Try taking some night shots without the filter. That "starburst" effect from the lights actually are more distracting that contributing in my opinion.
 
Also, try taking a nice angled shot from a parking garage looking onward at the traffic below or a bridge.
 
Like was said before focus needs some work and I just don't find the location that great. I think you need to find a higher vantage point to get more of an interesting shot. I personally like high vantage point views of a city at night with lots of lighting streaking from roadways. What were your setting for the shot? (ISO, Apteture, Exposure time)?
 
Yeah you guys are absolutely true.. A higher point of view on a bridge or overhead bridge would have been great..But do not have anything nearby.So went out for a walk and just took a shot to see how it comes out at night..

ISO - 200
Aperture - f/22
Shutter speed - 1.5 minutes.
 
I might suggest going to like a F13 to cut down on the time a little bit so that the brighter lights aren't so bright, it might also cut down on the car showing up. I like headlight and tail light flashes, but not big on the cars showing up when I shoot this type of photo.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom