Trying my best to shoot Hummers...

|)\/8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Spent several hours today trying to get a couple of decent shots of these girls ( I have yet to see a male), it is not easy. I sure would appreciate any pointers. This is the best I could do with my limited experience in shooting Hummers. I was using my 70-200 with 1.4 TC.

IMG_12894_s.jpg

IMG_12931_s.jpg

IMG_12916_s.jpg

Dude....

Those are fantastic! I've been trying my heart out lately but just can't get 'em let alone in focus. Seems like the hummers I have here are as drab as drab can be. Yours are very colorful and in sharp focus! Are these all hand held? What were your settings BTW?

Good work!

-Jim :)

Several hours well spent, really nice captures....

Shameless insertion of my own hummer shot:sexywink:
hummingbirds08031copy.jpg

Ooops I forget to say I really like your shots . The dark back ground really make them click!

Dude....

Those are fantastic! I've been trying my heart out lately but just can't get 'em let alone in focus. Seems like the hummers I have here are as drab as drab can be. Yours are very colorful and in sharp focus! Are these all hand held? What were your settings BTW?

Good work!

-Jim :)

I used my Canon 30D with my 70-200 + 1.4 TC. I also used 2 off camera speedlights (430 EX) and one speedlight (580 EX II) on camera. The exif data should be intact.

Shutter on all of them was @ 1/250.
ISO between 200-400
Aperture- f/8-f/14

Shameless insertion of my own hummer shot:sexywink:

Nice photo uplander, what were your settings?

I don't see anything wrong with them. My only thing is the feeder. That's just a hangup of my own though.

Yes, I understand what you are saying about the feeders, this is my first shots of Hummers so I am still learning their habits and the best way to photograph them. Hope to get them in more natural settings in the future.

I used my Canon 30D with my 70-200 + 1.4 TC. I also used 2 off camera speedlights (430 EX) and one speedlight (580 EX II) on camera. The exif data should be intact.

Shutter on all of them was @ 1/250.
ISO between 200-400
Aperture- f/8-f/14

Nice photo uplander, what were your settings?

Yes, I understand what you are saying about the feeders, this is my first shots of Hummers so I am still learning their habits and the best way to photograph them. Hope to get them in more natural settings in the future.

I shot this hummer with a Canon EF 400 f/2.8L with a Kenko 1.4 TC mounted on a Canon 40D shot off a monopod at ISO 400, 1/800, f/7. Focal length of 560mm using the center focus point.

All those are impressive. Keep it up

Most reactions

Back