Trying out my new gear! C&C?

TooShay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just got my 5D Mark II and 24-70 2.8 last night. My friend came over so I could test it out. I can't wait to try out my 70-200 f/4 lens next.

IMG_0204 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

Your other shot of her looks much better; the light on her face in the other shot is just lovely! [IMG_0220 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!]

I know you'll enjoy that fine new gear! It's fun to get good new gear!

Your other shot of her looks much better; the light on her face in the other shot is just lovely! [IMG_0220 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!]

Woops, I meant to post that one too!

IMG_0220 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

I prefer the first one, mostly because of the curvy pose that really accentuates her bump.

Oh, and I LOVE the new gear! I'm only shooting with one monolight right now, but I'm expecting three more and some modifiers to play with later this week! I can't wait!

Woops, I meant to post that one too!

IMG_0220 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

I prefer the first one, mostly because of the curvy pose that really accentuates her bump.

Oh, and I LOVE the new gear! I'm only shooting with one monolight right now, but I'm expecting three more and some modifiers to play with later this week! I can't wait!

I'm not sure what the reason is... But, I really like this. :) Greay shot.

Her under-chin area looks awkward in the first shot...as far as "accentuating her bump", the second photo does that as well, or better, with that subtle see-through bottom edge of the bump being revealed through her dress, against the backlighting...while you might like the first photo for personal reasons, she looks, well, bad in it...her neck muscle is simply bulging, her left leg looks oddly spindly and weird, and her stance seems awkward from the weird legs, to the backward-leaning body, the head away from the camera, and the strained, bulging neck cord muscle..the second photo on the other hand has a smooth, harmonious "base" at the bottom, formed by her dress material...the small of her back has that kind of "swayback" look that later-stage pregnant women sometimes develop...hr gaze harmonizes WITH the pose and her hand and her belly...and there's awesome light on her face, bustline, and the belly...she also has a nicely-lighted cleavage line, and of course, the peek-a-boo see-though revealing the very bottom of her belly...

Those are the kinds of things I SEE,as a stranger, a third party, who was not there...to me, #1 is nowhere near as good as #2. I don't mean any offense by that comment, although I can see that some might be taken, but this is a C&C post, and I am me...I would not want to show #1 if I had #2...#2 unifies almost everything, whereaas shot #1 has a lot of what I consider to be subtly negative body posture, and discordant body language.

How is your background set up? I can't seem to get that look indoors and I'm sure it's because I have to clue where to start.

---Chris

How is your background set up? I can't seem to get that look indoors and I'm sure it's because I have to clue where to start.

---Chris

My background is just 55" Savage background paper (white) and I have a giant softbox angled so it's hitting the background and rimming her (in the first picture) and in the second picture, it's off to the right behind her facing her about 45 degrees.

Her under-chin area looks awkward in the first shot...as far as "accentuating her bump", the second photo does that as well, or better, with that subtle see-through bottom edge of the bump being revealed through her dress, against the backlighting...while you might like the first photo for personal reasons, she looks, well, bad in it...her neck muscle is simply bulging, her left leg looks oddly spindly and weird, and her stance seems awkward from the weird legs, to the backward-leaning body, the head away from the camera, and the strained, bulging neck cord muscle..the second photo on the other hand has a smooth, harmonious "base" at the bottom, formed by her dress material...the small of her back has that kind of "swayback" look that later-stage pregnant women sometimes develop...hr gaze harmonizes WITH the pose and her hand and her belly...and there's awesome light on her face, bustline, and the belly...she also has a nicely-lighted cleavage line, and of course, the peek-a-boo see-though revealing the very bottom of her belly...

Those are the kinds of things I SEE,as a stranger, a third party, who was not there...to me, #1 is nowhere near as good as #2. I don't mean any offense by that comment, although I can see that some might be taken, but this is a C&C post, and I am me...I would not want to show #1 if I had #2...#2 unifies almost everything, whereaas shot #1 has a lot of what I consider to be subtly negative body posture, and discordant body language.

No offense taken, it's your opinion. I guess I just nitpick over small issues in the image. The stray hairs bother me (I know, I could clone them out, but this was just a test shoot) and the way her dress falls because of the way her other hand was holding her belly. I'm not crazy about the crop, either. I'm really regretting the 55" paper over the 107", but my crappy background stand isn't big enough to hold the larger size. Next on my list is a set of manfrotto autopoles, however. ;)

I prefer the second shot as the light falls on her face it accents the shape of the face, you do not have that in the original. The lighting over in the second has more contrast to it. I am also not fond of the pose in the first with the dress pulled so tightly to her side. She seems off balance in the first shot. I agree with Derrel.
Imagine this: if you were only to keep the light reflecting off the girl and eliminate everything else including the girl, which would you would you still be able to identify readily as an expecting mother.

Put them together in one post, and the vast differences will be more apparent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back