Trying something new - PANO's

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I missed sunrise this morning but I used a beautiful morning to scout and try some new things. I went up to the top of a parking garage that I have been wanting to shoot downtown OKC, and I realized that I don't a wide enough. So I tried to hand hold a pano of two shots to get most of it in. I combined them in PSE 11 and used Nik collection to process it further.

I think it turned out pretty good as both a color and a b&w.

OKC Downtown pano 1 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

OKC Downtown pano 2 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

Edited for suggestions from below.

Last edited:
Ron, nice rebound.. What lens did you use and was it done as landscape or portrait mode? Am trying to be better at this so can't comment on anything technical here. Looks like good lighting of the shadows, and clarity.
Nancy

Ron, nice rebound.. What lens did you use and was it done as landscape or portrait mode? Am trying to be better at this so can't comment on anything technical here. Looks like good lighting of the shadows, and clarity.
Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I was using the 28-135mm at about 30mm in portrait orientation. I used the wall to help brace my left elbow to steady the shot. I think that I could get 3 shots for this next time. (add one to the left of this for better coverage.)

You will be amazed how forgiving it is. Just relax and take a bunch. Portrait orientation, overlap 50%, and do like 10 shots.

Thanks Robin. I will have to try a more of these in portrait. I don't think I overlapped 50% on this one.

Question: would it be better to use a tripod for that many shots?

Thanks Robin. I will have to try a more of these in portrait. I don't think I overlapped 50% on this one.

Yes. Tripods will hold the camera's sensor on the same plane, thus making it easier to stitch later.

Panoramas Made Simple

Their "panorama's made simple" info really helped me.

Best,
Jake

i like them both, i do think the blue is a bit much in the first one. That's a lot of blue..unless that is what you were going for.

Yes. Tripods will hold the camera's sensor on the same plane, thus making it easier to stitch later.

Panoramas Made Simple

Their "panorama's made simple" info really helped me.

Best,
Jake

Thanks Jake. I will look at that this week.

I like the B&W version a bit more, Ron. Why? Well, I'm not really that in love with the strong blue tint to the shadowed areas in the color version...I do not mind a little bit of trending toward the blue in the shadows or in large areas of open shade--in fact, I think a bit of blueishness in such areas actually ADDS to the feeling of realism, but in this case the blue tint is overriding that sense. For me at least. I Do think the time of day, with the shadow on the building to the right is REALLY a good time of day. The light was good, and the vantage point and camera set-up are also pretty good too.

I like the B&W version a bit more, Ron. Why? Well, I'm not really that in love with the strong blue tint to the shadowed areas in the color version...I do not mind a little bit of trending toward the blue in the shadows or in large areas of open shade--in fact, I think a bit of blueishness in such areas actually ADDS to the feeling of realism, but in this case the blue tint is overriding that sense. For me at least. I Do think the time of day, with the shadow on the building to the right is REALLY a good time of day. The light was good, and the vantage point and camera set-up are also pretty good too.

Thanks Derrel, I agree, I over did the blue and see it in the shadows now. I was really wanting the strong blue in the sky and just ignored the rest.

I've seen some really good shots from this vantage point in the evening too, but I would admit to liking the sun at my back and left.

i like them both, i do think the blue is a bit much in the first one. That's a lot of blue..unless that is what you were going for.

Thanks bribrius. I was going for a strong blue in the sky and just overlooked the effect in the shadows. I'll see if I can fix that.

Most reactions

Back