Trying something new: Quarter macro.

New Hampshire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Normally I do the complete opposite of macro, landscapes. But I bought a Digital Concepts close up lens set (+1,+2,+4 and +10) to mess around with. I also decided to try shooting RAW now that I got the plug in to work on PS Elements 5. So between setting up the lighting, the lenses and getting used to editing in RAW I think things turned out decent. I know the top and bottom edges are a bit oof, but that is because I shot at an angle, not head on (I could not figure out how to place my third light without blocking it with the camera had I done a head on shot.) I did not really shoot this as a "serious" photo, more like testing things out, but comments welcomed if you like.

quarter.jpg

Brian

I always love the details in small objects like coins. Love this.

Did you see pgriz's post a while back on lighting + coin? It was a great set also, this is what your picture reminded me of...

These were taken with a Tamrom 90mm macro, with two flashes in manual mode arrayed at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, with the flash heads at the same level as the coins (ie, very low). The left side is showing direct flash, and the right side is exactly the same, but with a diffuser that provided more omni-directional light. The level of detail is exactly the same in each set, but the angle of light makes a very big difference in the overall appearance.

This experiment also shows that there is not just one "best" way to use the light, as the quarter shows better detail and definition in the omni-directional light version.

Test_03_1_2.jpg

Test_03_3_4.jpg

Test_03_5_6.jpg

For those who care about these things, ISO=100, f/8 and 1/180 sec, 90mm focused at the closest distance (1:1).

Oh, and yes, I've violated the rule of thirds. ;)

I apparently missed that post. I'll check it out for more ideas. I don't really plan on doing a lot of indoor, posed macro shots, but I wanted to try and expand my horizons a bit. MOstly I wanted to really give the close up lenses a work out since I want to occasionally take wild flower pictures. Considering the close up lenses are an inexpensive compromise they seem to be working pretty decent.

Brian

Most reactions

Back