Trying to develop my Post mantra

Ok, **not trying to thread-jack". I tried some Dave Hill edits awhile back. This is what I took away with my researching. They are generally over-sharpened, overly dodged and burned, and slightly desaturated.

59791_164865903527772_143969942284035_587880_2903831_n.jpg

61254_164752733539089_143969942284035_587256_2292413_n.jpg

66233_168996359781393_143969942284035_615299_6619420_n.jpg

I'm not trying to make my photos look like Dave Hill's... I like his look, and I wanted something similar, but also different. I like the plastic look. I know not everyone else will...

I wasn't trying to make a photo that looked "exactly like what this person looks like in real life." I was going for something different.

Again, I get that not everyone is going to like it. Telling me that you don't doesn't do me any good unless you tell me why...

Why do I even bother with this site anymore?

Dear Robert,

You are a very good photographer from my knowledge so far; and you have your own convictions, i know that (blue sky ;) ) and respect that. This image of yours have some anomaly, at the very first look i felt that way; Light Artisan's comment about a "Plastic look" has some truth in it, some thing like a wax coat i felt. But why can't you take that in a constructive way, i really wonder. Even if you get some "unhelpful comment" is that proper to call it so? From that point to this point how many hot exchanges had occurred and what was the outcome? nothing

I quoted the above statement of yours because in all the forums such things happen, definitely happen; so no question of leaving a site over such trivial matters , please :confused:

So let us forget everything and back to our experimentations and works. Please continue with your good work and show them here

Regards :D

what do you guys think of this?

Chris Jones by robertwsimpson, on Flickr

It's probably very obvious who my inspirations are, and I'm not done tweaking my own style, but how do you guys like it? I'm open to helpful comments!

I don't really care for this, and while I do like Dave Hill's work, and even have some similar stuff myself, I think this style is just really a blend of cartoon and reality.

I can kind of, sort of, see the altered reality you were going for, but instead, it looks like an edit from an incompetent editor. There is nothing sharp about the photo at all. Remember, that just because something is less blurred than something else, doesn't mean it's sharp.

One point I do like, is the mans arm, on the right, with the muscles. I like the accentuation of the bicep, and would be kind of comicbookish, if done properly to the entire photo.

You should learn to be a bit nicer though, it helps when recieving constructive criticism, and maybe share your goal of this photo so we can help you get there.

Lightroom and photoshop... If you google "dave hill effect" you can find stuff that gets you close... Like I said, I'm not going to divulge details until I get my images closer to how I want them.

Rotsa Ruck...

I'm sure people will continue to guess and be shot down until you decree we peons are entitled to a glimpse inside your genius mind.

Most reactions

Back