Trying to get the A Good Day to Die Hard look.

harmonica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like how that movie had a lot of blue sunlight to give it a nice thriller look. The shots start at 27 seconds into the trailer:

Not that I plan on making a big budget action movie, but more of a microbudget indie horror film. I like the look, and I figure the way to get it is too shoot with the camera, at a color tempearature of 3200 Kelvin or below, in the sunlight. That makes the sun blue. However, an actor's face turns really pink at that temperature. Is their a way to get the look without having to put up with pink skin?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
What equipment do you have? Most DSLRs have simple ways to set a custom white balance to whatever you want before your shot, so you could avoid having to do this in post at all.
But if you're mainly into video which you seem to be, you might not be using a DSLR?

I have a Canon T2i DSLR with magic lantern, so I could dial in the kelvin temperature manually, instead of setting a custom white balance. Using after effects, you have to go frame by frame though, and mask out the actors to change the skin only, and it looks greenscreened if you do that, even though it's not since the color doesn't match. I could be doing it wrong, but I would like to get it right in camera, since fixing things in post, has never worked for me as well, as getting right on set.

I'm a bit confused about the actor thing. Why would making the WB bluer make actors look pinker? Shouldn't it also make them bluer (as they appear in the clip in the OP)?

Also, if you think that mismatching actors and background "looks greenscreened" then I'm guessing it will look greenscreened to you no matter how you do it by any methods, digital or lighting gels or anything. Because regardless of method, if they don't match they don't match.

Videography and/or cinematography are quite a bit different from doing still photography.

TPF is mainly a still photography forum and the DSLR Video Discussion forum is a relatively new addition to the forums.
Hopefully you are also seeking advice on forums more dedicated to videography and/or cinematography.

Sorry about that. I just joined and getting use to where to put my questions. Thanks. What I mean is, is is that if I mask out and actor and recolor his face for example, he will no longer look like he is a part of the scene, since the light on him is making him a different color now, compared to the rest of the scene. Not greenscreened per say, he just won't look like he is no longer part of the scene, if recolored.

Also I don't know why the skin comes out pink, it just does under a 3200 Kelvin balance, or around that area, when it sunlight. I can't use gels to gel the sun unfortunately, if I want wide shots of people outdoors though.

Most reactions

Back