What's new

Trying to see things differently...

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
2,983
Reaction score
906
Location
Northern Viriginia, US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I feel pretentious calling anything I make abstract, but I don't know what else to call this. Just an experiment with lines, shadow/light and exclusion.

$IMG_9287 copybw.webp
 
I'd say it's abstract
 
Looks abstract to me.
 
I'd say its absCRAP. lol...Just kidding its great. I like the soft colors and the light. It could be a pretty cool desktop background or something like that.
 
Thanks everyone. It's my coffee table. Wish the smears weren't there, but I kinda like it :)
 
My first abstract was the top of a fire hydrant - complete with peeling paint and rust.
 
I'm not really a fan of the softness of it, or smears, or whatever they are. I'd like it much better if it were sharper and had perhaps more contrast. Or something.

Don't feel "pretentious" though, to call it an abstract. Abstract is just a thing, another area of photography and/or art to explore. Now, if you claimed to be presenting some sort of "primer" on abstracts, as if you were the abstract expert...THAT might be pretentious. :lol:
 
It's definitely abstract. That just means "I can't tell wtf it is" after all.

It's also not bad. Not great, but not bad. An abstract has to make you feel, WITHOUT giving you a subject to react to. This does, it's moody and mysterious. I like that it seems to have some reflections and so on, there's a lot of things in it that feel like I should be able to see what the are, but I can't. For some reason, it feels like church to me. Dunno why. Probably a saw a molding like that in a church once.
 
I agree, with all points!

Took this with the lensbaby, still getting used to finding the "sweet spot," so that accounts for the softness.

I guess feeling like church is better than feeling nothing, though anyone that knows me knows that is not what I feel lol
 
I agree with both sm4him and amolitor – for a first foray into abstract, you did pretty good. May I suggest rotating this 180º and see how you feel about it?
 
I think it needs some bodypaint!!;) lol!



Just kidding! It is a nice abstract... but just not quite there for me...
 
Just an experiment with lines, shadow/light and exclusion.
That kind of sums up the essence of doing most kinds of photography, but certainly applies to abstract images.

I think you did a fine job.
 
DONT SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY

IT DOESN"T PAY OFF

JUST STOP THIS NONSENSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
^^^^^ Unpopular ...you need a new hat for 2013. i like your abstract and sometimes it is a nice departure to photograph something different.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom