Trying to work with textures

Travis F

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a shot of a friend of the family's car that he entered in a local car show. He ended up winning a 'Best of Show' award for his entry. After the show our downtown street was shut down for a "Cruise the Gut" night. Anyway, as he was approaching I decided to hop out in traffic and grab a quick shot because my daughter is riding in the car as well. I wish he was looking at the camera when I snapped the shot but I didn't have time to wait around.....

I didn't think the image was what I wanted it to be straight out of the camera so I decided to add a little editing. I haven't worked with texture layers before so I'm looking for some critique and suggestions. I am going for a vintage scratched photo effect.

Let me know what you think,
Travis

975612976_tvcsG-X3-1.jpg

Nothing........?

Just looking to get some feedback. First time trying this so I would appreciate a few comments.

Thanks for looking,
Travis

Is the idea that the car is old, so you made the photo look old? The car kind looks dirty, especially the hood just over the grill. I'm not sure this is flattering for a "best in show" winner. You could probably re-crop so that your friend's car and the yellow camaro (?) dominate the frame.

Is the idea that the car is old, so you made the photo look old? The car kind looks dirty, especially the hood just over the grill. I'm not sure this is flattering for a "best in show" winner. You could probably re-crop so that your friend's car and the yellow camaro (?) dominate the frame.

Yeah, that's what I was going for. It's still a work in progress so all the input I get is appreciated.
I thought it looked kind of "muddied up" myself but I really have no clue how to go about getting the vintage effect I am looking for. And, unfortunately, I have no image samples that I can judge it against. I have looked for tutorials and all that but came up empty handed.....

I cropped it like this to try and give a sense of the overall nostalgia. If it doesn't work I'll give it another crop with your suggestion.

Thanks for the comments,
Travis

BTW - The horizon is straight but the car isn't, what's the proper way to straighten a photo like this?

Travis

BTW - The horizon is straight but the car isn't, what's the proper way to straighten a photo like this?

Travis

Straighten so that vertical lines are vertical. Any horizontal line can be at an angle depending on your camera position. It gets tricky when you account for lens distortion. Wide angle lenses will distort vertical perspective so that buildings recede up into space as well as back into space.

The scene didn't strike me as being off kilter and looking back, your verticals seem fine.

I thought it looked kind of "muddied up" myself but I really have no clue how to go about getting the vintage effect I am looking for. And, unfortunately, I have no image samples that I can judge it against.
Thanks for the comments,
Travis

I would suggest that rather than texture, you try to apply a camera and/or colour effect to give it a vintage look. Cameras from the 60s and 70s have a very specific colour and look to them. Aperture has a toy camera filter that could point you in the right direction. I'm sure if you googled, you could find a PS filter.

If you want, I could try the toy camera filter on an untextured version of your pic.

Sure, I'll upload an original and let you have a play with it if you want to.

I'll also upload an edit straight out of LR that may be close to what you are saying.

Be back soon,
Travis

Here's where I started from. The second image is a little desaturation in and WB adjustment in LR. That was the starting point in PS that I added the texture to.

Original
975870244_XY6Fv-X3.jpg

LR Edit -
975871218_j3BLU-XL.jpg

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated!

Travis

I like this much better than the texturizing you did. Still want me to try the toy camera effect with where you are at now with this pic?

Have at it my friend!

I was just looking to get one of those; 'OH my gosh I found this in the attic' looks. I guess it didn't work.....:meh:

Thanks for the help.

Travis

Ok... maybe this wasn't such a great idea. I'm not sure this is any improvement on what you have already. Anyway, There are two filters in Aperture that might be suitable:

1. Toy Camera
oqemq7

2. Vintage
4dmman

Both were used with the default settings. The toy camera doesn't really read as being old, just kind of badly processed. The vintage effect does look old, but not great. Anyway, something to think about.

I like the second one that you posted. It has a kind of duo tone feel to it. I think that's what I am looking for actually, with a little scratch mark here and there. Maybe, just maybe, a light vignette around the edge?

Like I said, never tried to vintage or texture a photo before so I'm open to ideas.....

Thanks again, and BTW that was pretty fast!

Travis

Most reactions

Back