Tulsa Tough Races C&C

Tulsa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While most of you probably have never heard of Tulsa Tough, We had riders from all over the country compete, anyway, I grabbed my new Sigma 70-200 2.8 and my 1d and went to town, what do you guys think?
7B8B8180.jpg

7B8B8186.jpg

7B8B8213.jpg

7B8B8222.jpg

7B8B8177.jpg

why are a few completely out of focus..?

I like the 2nd one the best. The rest I dont see a dominant subject that is sharp/focused. Perhaps it would have been better if you make the DOF deeper.

1, 3, 4, and 5.

In all, except #2, the DOF is to shallow.

#2 could have used some fill, but that can be handled in PP.

Most lenses are not at their sharpest wide-open. Each of these were made at f/2.8 so you were giving away some sharpness of the focus before you ever released the shutter.

yeah, no need to be wide open in a bright day light like that especially on action shots like that.

what would be recommended? F4?

f 9- f11 is often a good aperture for a bright day. However, do some tests, and figure out where your lenses 'sweet spot' aperture is, that is, the sharpest aperture.

I would have shot in shutter priority instead of aperture priority and set to 1/1000s or higher. Then I would have kept an eye on the the aperture being selected and adjusted my ISO to keep the aperture from getting too large (too small DOF).

The problem with setting to F8 or F10 in aperture priority at ISO 200 is the the shutter speed might end up being too low to freeze the action, depending on the scene.

^^ or go full manual, and find a balance that works for the situation.

Ill go with shutterspeed priority, then see where the aperture the camera decide. Then Ill go to full manual and tweak the aperture, ISO and maybe a click or two on shutter speed.

The problem with manual for action is that the action could be quite fast and the more screwing around you might need to do in manual to get the settings, the more lost shots. In shutter priority, you only need to worry about focus and on the fly exposure compensation - or even use exposure bracketing. The less to think about the better. Know your subject, know the scene, set up before hand, and just look for great shots. Let the camera do the work when you can. ;)

so then set it up before the action happens.

Most reactions

Back