Turtle Talker

Bifurcator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This old woman could actually talk to the turtles. And she did just that for about 45 min. while her daughter sat there in disbelief.

TurtleTalker.jpg

There are actually 5 or 6 turtles in view there but you can only see one good. And I don't now if any of them were talking back.

BTW, this is no crop, no processing at all, straight out of the Minolta A2 (fake SLR P&S) in through Adobe CameraRAW (I guess that's considered processing though :p), scaled to 36% and posted here. ;)

Crits and comments always welcome!

Yes - an interesting topic and photograph

But, you know, Doctor Doolitle is/was not the only human to communicate with animals - neither is the turtle alone amongst the animal species...
Your dog, cat, hamster, snake: elephants, lions, whales fish... all animals with a "hearing" system can, and do, react to human speech...
Perhaps they are attracted by the dulcit tones/vibrations/wavelength of soft, smooth speech - as they are alarmed/warned-off by shouts and screams...
Now I will go out into the garden and soft-talk those damned caterpillars to stop eating my strawberries...
Jedo

Hehe, good luck with that... I use Ammonium Nitrate... It kills or keeps away the snails and caterpillars and it makes HUGE dark red delicious strawberries!

Thanks for the comment! Appreciated!

I like the image, it's well composed but it looks a little cold. I'm not sure but maybe a bit of adjustment to the white balance would give a brighter take on the scene.

Overall good stuff though!

Good eye! I think you're right. Shortly after I posted it I said to myself: Dose that have a blue cast?

I do that sometimes... Ask myself questions I already know the answers to - makes me feel smart when I answer myself. :D

The really strong point to me would be the subtle but bright color variation throughout the whole picture. It really gives it a subtle boost.
As far as composition goes, (just to make sure you know, I'm not just new to the forums, but "only read my first composition article a few days ago" kind of new...
A little more space above the daughter's head it seems to me could have been an improvement. I think just enough to bring that whole rock behind her into the frame, which I think would have created a nice diagonal of shapes between the rock and the two ladies. But then maybe that leaves too much open space in the top right. Or maybe not. I don't know. I'm not sure now. I guess that's what I get for trying to sound smart :D

Space above the head? Yup, agreed! And the alternative component to that is of course cropping off about 1/4 or 1/5 of the bottom of the image. You're right.

I think I'll do a version with the blue cast gone and that's properly cropped for balance instead of being stubborn about keeping an ounce of texture that kills a pound of picture.

Thanks!

whew... I sure hope that means I'm learning something :lol:

I dunno. And I'm not gonna answer that either. :taped sh: This is where I always get in trouble. :scratch: Saying stuff like: balance in shape, form, and color can't be taught. It's has to be experienced. We can only teach the terms to define and describe it. Oops! :crazy: I just did it again. Dang it! :madmad:

:coffee:

Well I'm going on the assumption that you know more about it thatn I do. In which case I believe I'll take the agreement as validation for the hours spent at the monitor reading articles :coffee:
Just let me have this one. Please. I need it. ;)
I'm falling behind on packing today because I partied all night and am running on no sleep with a wicked all-day hangover. That was pretty dumb. Something today has to make me feel smart lol

Dude, you already got it... No need to even ask. You nailed it bro! ;) Seriously!

I think this location is fantastic. Wow, the little Garden of Eden. The colors of the rocks and plant life really look peaceful.

Also, your models are interesting just as much as the surroundings. The elder of the two has an expression concentration of the communication. The younger seems to be happy being there with her companion.

I agree with Scurra about the color needing a slight correction. I hope you don't mind, but I had a go with it. I may have over lightened the stonework behind the women.

TurtleTalker.jpg

I will gladly remove it if you're not happy.

Can't wait for DNS cache to update on my servers... I still can't use photobucket or view their images. :(

Kun-Man, nice edit dude!

Have a Gratelion:

Gratelion.jpg

"The Dandelion of Gratitude"
:D I know, I'm a cornball. :D

Most reactions

Back