Tutorial: Working with Underexposed Images

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Working With Under Exposed Images.
( by Ermin Monzon)

Correct exposure can sometimes be tricky, and from time to time we can run into less than ideal situations. Whether it’s poor lighting conditions, weather or incorrect exposure. Whatever the case may be, because of today’s technology we can work with our digital images thanks to programs like Photoshop and the like.

Here’s a quick and easy method on how to work with underexposed images, using Photoshop 7.

Step 1

Open your underexposed image.

underex1.jpg

Step 2

In the layers palette duplicate the image by pressing CMD (PC Control) + J.

underex2.jpg

Step 3

In the layers palette change the blending mode from Normal to Screen.

underex3.jpg

Instantly you will see your image brighten. Continue to duplicate the layers until you get the exposure you desire. For this particular picture I only duplicated the layer twice to get the correct exposure.

underex4.jpg

Step 4 (option)

If you find the image to be too bright simply decrease the opacity setting. Flatten the image by going into Layer>Flatten Image.

underex5.jpg

There is no replacement for proper exposure, but sometimes certain conditions are not favorable and whether your camera limits you, or you are just learning about correct exposure, or you simply did not use the correct settings, this method is easy enough to work with underexposed images.

I hope you have enjoyed this quick and easy method to digitally work with underexposed images.

Thanks for the tutorial JOAT, but I just want to clarify something. That indeed does work to lighten an image, but I really don't think it's the best way, especially considering that your final image is overexposed now, and the highlights are completely blown out. Look at the before image and notice the detail on the feathers of the eagle's head, which are now gone in your after image. I would even say that your before image does not even need lightening. Looking at the histogram, the whites are only shy of max by 10.

It's much better to use a levels adjustment layer, so you can see the histogram. If you hold down alt while moving the highlight or shadow slider, you'll see what parts of your image are clipping, if any, and since it's an adjustment layer, you can go back and make changes to it any time you need.

I totally agree here Matt, perhaps i could've used a better image, but as i mentioned if it's too much you can lower the opacity of the layer, notice it's at 100% i should've lowered it a bit for the final image....i guess i'll change that. The thing with using levels, it can show a bit of noise if you are not careful.

However, this is a quick and easy method for those who don't know anything about level and curves. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back