Tutorials/Resources for processing for print...

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am building a dental office - 4000 sq feet - and I will have tons and tons of walls that need decorating. I am planning on making it my own "photo gallery" to showcase my landscape/city/misc photography. I would like to print to acrylic and canvas. I would like some of the prints very large. (I have a friend who just built an office and he put wall-to-wall outdoor-themed murals on a couple walls and it looked awesome).

There are plenty of books, online tutorials or classes, videos, etc on composing photographs, correct exposure, post-processing, etc... But I can't seem to find a lot on the specifics of sharpening for print, what to do for different print mediums, etc. I don't even know what questions I have because I don't know enough about printing to ask.

I'm not interested in printing anything myself. I also want to find out if the "pros" use companies like MPix to print for their galleries and clients or if they use companies that don't cater to the general public.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Last edited:
I print my own as large as my printer allows and then use MPIX or a local custom lab for anything else.
Be aware that large size printing on acrylic is expensive.
I would certainly do a test print of some at the eventual printing resolution; what I mean is print a 16x20 of the important parts of your image and see how they look big.

IMO, a rotating display of moderate size prints will generate more interest and get less boring than several really big prints.

(I used to be a prosthodontist)

Lew

First: I would recommend against canvas for public spaces simply because of the material. Over time the coarseness of the canvas will capture and hold dust and either require frequent, careful cleaning, or look dull and dreary if it doesn't get cleaned often enough. I would suggest acrylic, Masonite, metal, or traditionally framed paper prints.

As far as sharpening goes, talk to the lab and ask for their input, 'though to be honest, colour profiling is FAR more important than sharpening. Other than just the lightest touch of sharpening in LR, I almost never do any sharpening and have never had a concern or complaint on that issue. Most good labs will provide a low-cost proofing service and will provide 'sample packs' of various print media. Look around and find a couple that seem promising and give them a try.

Most reactions

Back