Photos OK to edit
A few from Mumbles, South Wales with 645Z and FA 45 - 85

1. With Big Stopper + 0.9 GNDs

Twilight at Mumbles-3 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

2. Little Sropper plus 0.9 GND 7 minute exposure

Twilight at Mumbles copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. Just 0.9 GND, ISO 200 f/11 10min 24 sec exposure

Twilight at Mumbles-2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

4. A 20 minute exposure. The colours looked all wrong initially, so used the dropper on the lighthouse to get correct white balance and it came up with 30,000! It looked much better so stuck with that...

Pentax 645Z FA 45-85 at 45mm, f/11 ISO 100 1200 secs

Twilight at Mumbles-4 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Very nice! Wow, 20 minute exposure? Still new at this, but did not think that would produce this image?

It's all about how much light hits the sensor. I shot this at twilight, with a circular polariser and a graduated neutral density filter. You could do this in the middle of the day with a big stopper (or two on a very bright day). There's no easy way of judging it other than using a ND calculator, and I have found these hit and miss. During a very long exposure conditions can change very quickly and white balance and colour temperature can change during the shot. In a very long exposure like this, hot pixels can be an issue. You can set the camera do take a dark slide equal to the original exposure (most cameras have Long exposure noise reduction defaulting to ON), but I find this a pain as the light changes very quickly at dawn and dusk, so I keep it switched off and use the Dfine hot pixel filter to remove them. This softens the shot very slightly, but I sharpen the shot at the end of the processing stage in Photoshop, so this is dealt with...

Hope that helps.

Nice, I would have liked to have seen a little more space around the island, its chopped off a bit in 3 and 4.

The blues are too strong in 2 and 3 for my taste and it gives the impression that they are unreal.

4 is the best shot IMO as it is more the colours that I asscociate with the brittish coast.

Nice, I would have liked to have seen a little more space around the island, its chopped off a bit in 3 and 4.

The blues are too strong in 2 and 3 for my taste and it gives the impression that they are unreal.

4 is the best shot IMO as it is more the colours that I asscociate with the brittish coast.

2 and 3 aren't unrealistic - 2 is taken before 4 but 3 is taken after 4, so firmly into the blue hour. The sun had set before I had taken 2,3 and 4 and as the clouds were coming in, there were no red colours in the sky so was a very blue golden hour. This is obviously reflected in the tones of the sea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back