Two months in. Shooting around. Any tips ?

Matthew2474

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

Nice image set and welcome to the forums! =]

My biggest tip: buy yourself a John Hedgecoe how-to photography book, and use it to see what the field of photography is about.the books are widely available used for $5 or less.

My biggest tip: buy yourself a John Hedgecoe how-to photography book, and use it to see what the field of photography is about.the books are widely available used for $5 or less.

I’ll definitely look into that thank you ! I bought Northrups book and it has taught me soooo much, especially alongside their YouTube videos.

I would also like to find some works of expert photographers itself. Find my style I guess you would say, are they’re any sites or magazines you’d recommend to help find others work?

When you take pictures of animals make sure you frame them up to include all of the subject if possible ( I know sometimes it can't be helped.) and maybe a little more of it's surroundings. You can always crop in a little if you want. When taking pictures of buildings make it interesting somehow or make sure there is something interesting about them or at least a part of them like a cool door or window, etc. Otherwise, it's just a boring picture of a standard building.

I'll add my tuppence worth later, I have a couple of suggestions regarding composition of wildlife shots.

Thank you for the replies so far ! Just to note, I honestly took these pictures with little idea of what I wanted. I simply went out and tried to take shots as I wanted to practice generically using a camera and it’s functions.

After spending practically the whole day reading stunning digital photography by Northrups and other people’s photos criticism, I can see a lot of things off the mark.

Anyhow keep the criticism and advice coming ! Really appreciate it!

I love that squirrel.

As many say on many such threads.. practice technique.

In order to offer tips, need to know what area you want tips on. Composition? Exposure? Auto focus? Also would be best to state what camera and lens as well as the settings you’re using.

Learn about light and how to position yourself in relation to the light. The 32 or so Hedgecoe books are good for this. Backlight and sidelight are common; your bird photos would have been elevated had a touch of flash been used to add a catchlight in the eye.

Welcome my good man! The best way to get help...post photos and ask for critiques. There are some serious photographers on here, and the comments you get from these seasoned artists is an unbelievable resource for improvement.

That said, you’re looking to gain a sense of artistic composition and balance. Balance with color, or use black and white to see things a little differently. The guys/gals above are all correct. But if you’re trying to get an eye for good photography, browse other people’s sites. Study photographs that you like, don’t just look at them...really study them. Figure out what you like about it and what you don’t. Try to see value in simple photography. See value in simple patterns, simple compositions. Buy photography books by photographers that appeal to you. Good luck!

Good photos are everywhere. I can't recommend any one site or book...there are hundreds. Different sites and magazines have good photos...national geographic, vogue, Harper's bazaar, rolling stone, sports illustrated, playboy, conde nast traveler....all have great photos, but in different genres.

There are great young, new shooters, and older, great shooters.

There is a lot of great advice here, mine would be to take photographs every day if possible. Even when I don't have a camera with me, rare, I see photographs that I would like to capture. Sometimes that means shooting the same subject many times before finally capturing what I had in mind. Sometimes I just stumble onto a happy accident. Most importantly, have fun with it.

1 camera, 1 lens, 1 flash, hedgcoe books, pic little projects, start with non moving subjects like flowers, get to know your camera. Don't take yourself to seriously and just have fun.

Most reactions

Back