Two more Grand Canyon shots

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a bunch of these to go through, but rather than bore everyone to tears with what can only be cliche, these will probably be the last two I post here.

Grand View Point
600-c-grand-view-point-5590.jpg

Powell Point
600-powel-point-c5738.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Your shots are a lot better than any I ever took of the canyon. There's a lot more depth to yours, and you can really tell just how big the place is. The last time I went up there was when I first started with photography, and by the time I go back I hope to do a better job of capturing the scale of the canyon.

It is hard to get anything but the typical tourist views from the viewpoints. However, if you go back, hike down even just a half mile or so along Bright Angel Trail. The view is completely different, and there are some amazing textures and patterns along the canyon walls, along with almost guaranteed wildlife sightings, if you're into that.

Your shots are a lot better than any I ever took of the canyon. There's a lot more depth to yours, and you can really tell just how big the place is. The last time I went up there was when I first started with photography, and by the time I go back I hope to do a better job of capturing the scale of the canyon.

It is hard to get anything but the typical tourist views from the viewpoints. However, if you go back, hike down even just a half mile or so along Bright Angel Trail. The view is completely different, and there are some amazing textures and patterns along the canyon walls, along with almost guaranteed wildlife sightings, if you're into that.

Thank you. I do hope to get down in the canyon aways next trip- Ideally I'd like to ride down on a mule and float out on a raft from Phantom Ranch. I'll take what I can get even if it's just hanging out looking over the edge. I think I've heard the trail Pipe Creek(?) trail is a little easier. If I don't get myself together it won't matter though.

This trip I had planned to the teeth. Day one was coming in from the east and shooting every tourist stop, sunset at the village. Day two was sunrise at Maricopa Point and shuttle to all stops between the village and Hermit's Rest. Day three was laying in bed on my back going, "Bwaaaaa-hhaaaa, it hurts, it hurts."

Anyway, I had the trip and photos planned for my web site GC virtual tour;
http://digital-desert.com/grand-canyon/

The GC ends about where the eastern boundary of the Mojave Desert is, so I made it kind of a business trip. I like shooting wildlife. I got some nice condor shots, but not the stupid squirrels that everyone but me feeds (let them fend...) I also got shots of some elk at Tusayan the last morning at sunrise (I lied about laying in bed) :)

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126257

I wanted to thank you for posting your Zion photos last month. That's another Mojave Desert ecotone I've been wanting to shoot. I had no idea what to expect other than from your photos. I made it a point to find, what, that icebox mesa?- checkerboard something or other? Can't remember without looking through my notes, here's the post; You'll recognize the last location.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124323

Thanks again on both counts!

Honestly, unless you're on the back of a mule, none of the trails into the canyon are "easy". I mean, gravity sure helps, but it's not so fun getting yourself out again. It's good that you got some condor shots-- they're amazing birds. The most interesting wildlife I've shot there are the goats, but even then they weren't doing much.

I'm sorry my shots are all you had to go by in Zion :p That area actually impresses me more than the Grand Canyon. I was also on a whirlwind tour, only going north. Given the chance I probably could have stayed for 2 weeks in that park with my only complaint being not enough space on my memory cards. I was particularly impressed with some of the shots in your Zion thread. You seem to always get lucky with clouds -- they add so much more drama to a scene.

Wonderful shots, abraxas. They show the vastness and beauty of the canyon. I especially like the second shot...love that blue sky!

I love the flat horizon line. It really makes the pictures, and adds depth. Sweet photos :thumbup:

They're both very good. I prefer the first one because for some reason the sky in the second one doesn't quite ring true for me. But I don't know anything.

Honestly, unless you're on the back of a mule, none of the trails into the canyon are "easy". I mean, gravity sure helps, but it's not so fun getting yourself out again. It's good that you got some condor shots-- they're amazing birds. The most interesting wildlife I've shot there are the goats, but even then they weren't doing much.

I'm sorry my shots are all you had to go by in Zion :p That area actually impresses me more than the Grand Canyon. I was also on a whirlwind tour, only going north. Given the chance I probably could have stayed for 2 weeks in that park with my only complaint being not enough space on my memory cards. I was particularly impressed with some of the shots in your Zion thread. You seem to always get lucky with clouds -- they add so much more drama to a scene.

I was thinking of the overall grade of the trail, that the trail to the east was a bit less steep. I'm all about coming back up. Anyway, I agree, getting a different perspective would radically change the look.

I don't do much wildlife photography. Lizards and coyotes and whatever springs up, but I rarely go after something. Excepting late July I may go get some bighorn sheep photos along the Colorado River. I went with Az. Game and Fish 5-6 years ago. Might take my little boat and get some more. Maybe spend a couple nights doing some camping out of it.

I wish we had more cloud cover around here in the western Mojave. That's what I like about going out your way is the monsoons. There's a different weather system entirely. Although we have probably 355 days a year of sunny weather, there's not much for clouds on most of those days. I try to get out and work them when I see them.

Your shots of Zion were fine. Don't underrate yourself. I wish I had time to go up to the high plains in the park, the cactus were blooming. An incredible year from what one of the rangers described. Only had one day there. Before dawn to after sunset. The next day was dinosaur fossil tracks, a visit to the Bureau of Land Management and to an 1850s masscre site. The cactus blossom may never be again- all that junk I did go see would have been there next time. Errors in my judgement.

Wonderful shots, abraxas. They show the vastness and beauty of the canyon. I especially like the second shot...love that blue sky!

Thanks Anty. I'm finding going through some of my photos from awhile back I can get some of the same rush as when I shot them. Makes me lve it all the more.

I love the flat horizon line. It really makes the pictures, and adds depth. Sweet photos :thumbup:

Thank you. Since I've decided to get serious about doing this, it's been a goal to have photos that look like you could somersault into. :) I hope I'm getting there.

They're both very good. I prefer the first one because for some reason the sky in the second one doesn't quite ring true for me. But I don't know anything.

thanks

Wonderful colours and textures and it's nice to get an impression of how big it is across rather than how long it is!

Most reactions

Back