Two New Photos - Morro Harbor

elementgs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two new photos from Morro Bay. They didn't do as well as I had hoped on 500px and I would love to know what you guys thought on them. Harsh feedback requested please, it's the only way I can grow. :) Thanks!

1. $DSC_8944-Sized.jpg

2. $DSC_8990-Edit-4.jpg

Ok, I am NOOO expert so my 2 cents...
it's almost too much in each photo. My eye goes everywhere but competing for a focus.
I like so many different elements of each photo but so many things in it are distracting me.
others will chime in, overall I like your setting.
Nancy

I'm no expert either but, was thinking the same as Nancy. I think the first would be really nice without the boat. The corner of the dock pointing to the island seems like it would be cool.

Don't care for the second one at all. Way too bust. I personally don't care for the first one as it is. I agree with Rob. Lose the boat and "move" the pier to point towards the island.

Slight shift of focus on this one. I'll have to go back and re-take the other one, I have a few close to what you're saying but none of that actual shot.

$DSC_8914-2.jpg

Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a photographer. I really love taking pictures but the scenes I like, no one else seems to. The scenes everyone else likes, I dislike taking. :(

Slight shift of focus on this one. I'll have to go back and re-take the other one, I have a few close to what you're saying but none of that actual shot.

Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a photographer. I really love taking pictures but the scenes I like, no one else seems to. The scenes everyone else likes, I dislike taking. :(

Do not be discouraged...You asked for comments and critiques so take it on the chin because it is a learning experience for you. If you heed advices instead of inwardly or outwardly rejecting it, then your shots will have no topic, no meaning and no direction if you get my drip...Stand up and wipe the dust off your coat and start again...this time, have a particular subject to shoot, not just shoot everything you see in sight. Divide your view to the most important, say for instance in the last one you posted, what was your subject there? Was it the boat or the background? If it is the boat, then it is just too small for the overpowering monster of a background. If it was the background, then it is cropped too tight to make heads nor tails of it...include a bit of the scene with the intended background if that was your theme. In short, make your shots tell a story...

I hope you improve some more, learn some more from people around here who offers you help.

I didn't mean for it to come across like that, I apologize. It was more just a comment as to how my subjects aren't appreciated as much as I personally appreciate them.

My subject in the harbor scene was the harbor as a whole. Morro Bay. It's distracting initially but to me it's complete. It brings everything together and allows me to just sit back and enjoy the harbor in it's entirety. My point was that I'm constantly shooting to capture a whole scene for just that purpose and it seems that's entirely contrary to what a photographer should be doing.

I want the opposite of what everyone else seems to want. My point in my response was that I don't want to change my style that dramatically and if that's what I need to do to be successful then perhaps I'm just not cut out for it. :)

Last edited:
I didn't mean for it to come across like that, I apologize. It was more just a comment as to how my subjects aren't appreciated as much as I personally appreciate them.

My subject in the harbor scene was the harbor as a whole. Morro Bay. It's distracting initially but to me it's complete. It brings everything together and allows me to just sit back and enjoy the harbor in it's entirety. My point was that I'm constantly shooting to capture a whole scene for just that purpose and it seems that's entirely contrary to what a photographer should be doing.

I want the opposite of what everyone else seems to want. My point in my response was that I don't want to change my style that dramatically and if that's what I need to do to be successful then perhaps I'm just not cut out for it. :)

Nothing wrong with that. I have the same issue at times. :)

I took the liberty to crop this one:

$DSC_8914-2 - Version 2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back