Two photos from Asia C&C

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1. This is a bit dull and taken over a month ago, but I tried a little tone mapping on it just to see where it would go. Composition-wise, I think it would've been better if the skyscraper was dead center at the corner of the temples, but this was in Shanghai so not much I can do about it now.

DSC_1163_tonemapped.jpg

2. Rush hour on the hong kong metro. This was taken in the middle of the busiest station in the whole system. To transfer lines, you just walk across the platform direct to the other side. This was only the start of rush hour and usually the entire packed train transfers at the station and it's like a stampede. I wanted to get dead center of the walkway but the metro workers (the supervisors) are kind of nasty about picture-taking. The young adults they have working the crowds are super nice about it, but the old men will usually stop you.

Anyway, what I can't decide on here is if I need a tighter crop or not. I really can't decide is the people on the sides add or detract from the image. On one hand, the fact that they're the most in-motion part of the entire image adds a sense of urgency to the whole rush hour thing, but on the other hand I can't tell if they take away from the main crowd.

Wordpress1of1-3-1.jpg

I agree with your assessment on Number One.

On Number Two, I think cropping out the lone figure on camera left would improve the overall photograph.

I wish I was in Shanghai right now taking pictures.

Hmm, I cropped out the guy on the left to see how it looked but it seems a bit unbalanced with the crowd leaning more to the left and the larger blue wall on the right. opinions? just out your hand on the monitor if you're lazy haha

Most reactions

Back