Typical Fogo Island Scene in Black and White

camperbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As time goes on, I feel more and more drawn to b/w photography. I was driving through the tiny fishing community of Deep Bay (pop. 141) this evening and this scene caught my eye, with the normally turbulent North Atlantic as calm as a sheet of glass.

So I jumped out of the car and took this shot handheld, even though I figured the light was too far gone. I was surprised when I got home, uploaded it to my computer, and saw that it didn't turn out half bad after all, considering how dark it was at the time.

I used the Sony Alpha with my ancient but trusty Minolta Maxxum 35-70mm F/4 lens at ISO100 and 1/10 sec; amazing that it turned out at all without a tripod at that speed.

As you all know by now, I just love these views of old fishing stages, wharves, and lobster traps on the rugged shores. It will likely take me a lifetime to capture all there is to see on this island, especially at the rate I have been going lately! Hopefully my health with allow me to get out more often, now that spring has finally sprung. (saw our first robins this week)
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland : about my photography:

DSC01913a900pix.jpg

The black and white really makes this photo. I hope the best for your health!

Hi Glen and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
Sad to hear you're of poor health and I do hope it'll improve fast and soon, so you can go out and take more photos of your island.
This one is really wonderful, does the colour version (assuming this is a conversion, unless you're talking film, which I don't quite get as yet) have any merits?

It makes me feel sad we can't afford to travel to Newfoundland this summer after all, and after it had been planned for almost 2 years now. But travelling across the Atlantic is almost cheaper than the second leg of the journey, so your lands seem a bit unattainable for us just now. A pity. I'll travel with the help of your photos, I think! Thanks for the link.

Thanks everyone, for your kind comments. No, I did not use HDR.

I took more shots in Deep Bay that night, including this 3-image stitched panorama of the same scene, (though different shots) this time in colour. I have chosen to frame and display it as part of this summer's art gallery exhibit.

The second image is another typical Fogo Island fishing stage, this time located in the town of Fogo. A basic and simple shot really; I was experimenting that day with one of my vintage Minolta lenses (Maxxum 35-70mmm f/4) on my Sony DSLR. These old Minolta lenses (manufactured in the 1980's) are unmatched when it comes to sharpness/clarity, and rendering of the blues of a sky, in my opinion.

Thanks again,
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland : about my photography:

DSC01917_stitcha21000pix-1.jpg

DSC01901a900pix.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back