Ugly Image Rendering in Google Nik Plugins

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just upgraded my PC, which has required my reinstalling CS6 (stand alone) and the Google Nik Plugins package. When I open an image in Silver Efex I get image posterization (blacks appear purple) - particularly evident with increased contrast presets. I've not seen this before, though it does remind me of image rendering issues I had a while back while viewing images on the web using chrome. If I apply the effect in silver efex, the image looks fine when it reopens in CS6. Unfortunately, the crappy preview makes using the plugin impossible. I've included screen grabs so you can see what I'm talking about.

Original image (16 bit tiff)

i-zqt5Hc5-L.jpg

Image Preview in SEP:

i-ssTCfJN-L.jpg

Image in CS6 after applying change:

i-gkpkvPp-L.jpg

Is there some obvious setting I've forgotten about?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Odd. I typically go from LR CC to Nik back to LR CC, and have never seen that issue. Did you try all of the different presets to see if it was just one of the presets making it look odd?

Jake

Some presets look worse than others on their default setting, but I can make this happen without using a preset. It's not just silver efex either.
I have an email into google/nic, but no reply as of yet.

Here's another example. The first pic is a 16bit tiff rendered in the CS6 window. The second one is the pic opened in Color Efex Pro using Lighten/Darken Center at default settings.

i-tjQtpmD-L.jpg

i-thBnSNf-L.jpg

I reinstalled and opened the above images in Nik prior to Google pushing an update. Looks fine.
I suspect things may get ugly again once google updates the collection to it's current version. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Most reactions

Back