Uh Oh... How did I screw this up....

BTW, so far it has happend on 3 rolls out of 5 I have developed recently. I am starting to get really worried, since I never had this problem when I first started developing film, but now it all of a sudden has popped up.

Pre-wash tends to make the developer work faster so it messes with the dev times a bit.
My advice is never use pre-wash - it isn't necessary as is doesn't do anything more and I have known it to cause problems.
Try processing without pre-wash and see what happens.

I agree with Hertz: don't use pre-wash. Also consider separating your develper into individual bottles [I use 'Snapple' bottles which hold enough for a single 120 reel/2 35mm reel tank] filled almost completely. Then just use and discard. Do the same for the fixer. Saves all sorts of problems, and the developer keeps well.

Check your scanner. My film scanner instructions warn of light leeks on the sides when scanning.. it tells you how to cover 'em up. Maybe you figured out that it's not the scanner.. sorry didn't have time to read it all.. just alot of times the scanner will give a picture brighter edges.

I haven't done any darkroom work in years but... could it be the reels you're using? Are they stainless steel or plastic reels? Plastic may not always wash as clean as steel and perhaps some residual fixer is "leaching" onto the film at the edges when you put in the next roll and drop into the developer. Just a thought from someone who probably shouldn't have thoughts... Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back