Ultimate Lighting Tips and Studio Set-UP Thread

bethany138

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanygilbert.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please post all of your best lighting tips or pictures of your studio here! Tips from real photographers help so much when you are trying to learn.

Thanks - I LOVE TPF!!!:hug:: :hugs: :hug:: :hugs: :hug::

Three halogen 1500W floods with theatre blue gel mask mounted on heavy duty G-clamps. DJ lighting T-bar. Big old sheet stained grey with Woolworths dye, tripod, imagination.

Rob

Heh. I don't use a studio. The majority of my stuff is window light if taken indoors, though I own a couple of cheap lights. I might use foam core as a reflector and a translucent white shower curtain as a diffuser or reflector if I'm not doing candids.

My mind works a lot better as an observer rather than a planner, so I tend to work by observing the light and using or modifying what's there rather than setting something up. I have a hard time coming up with something from scratch that looks natural enough to be pleasing to my eye.

The idea is to light the subject the way that you perceive it. Some shots may require harsh light. Some are better super soft.

Personally I start with a bounce or soffbox as a main. Position that until the shadows are agreeable. Then I bounce a light off the ceiling to open said shadows. Also like to have a lot of reflectors.

Most reactions

Back