Umbrella and stand came in the mail. First shot with it.

cfusionpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Off-camera flash has never been my strong point, but after attending a local workshop on lighting, I feel a lot more comfortable. I picked up a cheap stand and umbrella, which came in the mail yesterday. I grabbed a friend and shot this as part of an assignment for the workshop: shoot in disgusting, harsh, bright, unflattering, mid-day sun. The point was to ballance a bright, properly-exposed background with a softly-but-equally lit subject. Here's what I could come up with:

markshappylightingfinal.jpg

Having never worked with off camera flash before, I think it came out quite nicely!

You've discovered the game changer. :) You're gonna love it.

Im curious what changes you made between the 2 pics.
Both were shot at 1/160, f/7.1, and ISO 100. First is completely natural light, second is shot with my 430EX flash and an off-brand shoot-through umbrella.

You've discovered the game changer. :) You're gonna love it.
:thumbup:

Looks wonderful! Big difference between the two pictures...looks great.

Looks good! What did you get and where did you get it?

Thanks for the list. I'll have to see about getting these.

Huge difference. Nice.

Man.. I wish I knew Matt Damon LOL.. He looks like him! Younger version of course.

I have all of these for my indoor studio stuff. How do I use them outside?? I love the difference it makes!! How do you set it up around the subject? And if you were taking pics of a family how would that work?

I agree that this is a big step forward. Has anyone ever told your friend he looks a little like Matt Damon?

Can I be contrary voice and say that something is amiss with the lighting? imo the facial tones lack enough contrast to give the face volume. Has the mid-tone contrast been reduced? Take a look again at the left shot and notice how it has a greater illusion of volume? It pops a little more. Yes it is over exposed, but I would have used the sunlight as your primary source and then the off camera flash to gently fill the shadowed side.

Also... how can both pics be the same exposure? You are adding more light with the flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back