Un-scan-able print

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There was that heap of papers on my desk ... and hidden at its bottom were a couple of photos taken with the Leica early last year that I had kind of "lost" ... and all forgotten about. Now I found them again and decided to scan a few prints to show. And as PRINT I quite liked this fog-photo.

unscanablefogpic.jpg

However, as you can see, scanned it is NOTHING.
In the print, you can see the row of trees in the background against the greyness of the fog (not the blinding whiteness you see here), and you can still distinguish any branch and twig on each and every tree. Not so in the scan. Big sigh... I want a better scanner! (And the money for it, to begin with). More big sighs... :(

I got my scanner from E-bay but I pulled it out from under the bidders before bidding could get started so I got it dirt cheap (200 USD) wile everyone was busy driving up the price of a Nikon a couple auctions away. Take a look around for them you might get lucky.

With the flatscreen monitor I have here, If I get down low I can in fact see the trees on the horizon. They have a bluish tint to them. I like what I see of it.

There was that heap of papers on my desk ...

Haha here we go again... there was like 2 papers on your desk and your german eyes saw a huge pile :greenpbl:

I wonder if the photo would be more mysterious if the trees couldn't be seen at all... where does this water go to/ come from?

this scan is quite overexposed. do you have any exposure correction in your scan software? you should scan it much darker, and then we could brighten the dark areas a bit afterwards, which should not cause too much noise.

is ee the trees, but they are blue-ish, so maybe this is also a result of overexposure, or your white balance has to be calibrated as well in the scanning process.

... do you have any exposure correction in your scan software? ...

Not that I would know of, I usually have to take them as they come and maybe work on the now digitalised pic in Photoshop, but nothing helped.

I tried to take a photo of the print, but had trouble holding the Powershot at 1/8 second and now have camera shake. So you cannot see how sharp the print really is, either...

fotovonfoto.jpg

All you can see is that where there are the trees it is fog-grey, not white with blue trees...

i was about to complain about the strange distortion and the strange brownish frame ;)

now the problem looks as if your scanner software pushes the contrast .... by far too far. if this was only for the lower part of the image, no problem, but it is done globally for the whole picture, so the grey-ish background and the trees are just pushed over the edge exposure-wise.

can you switch off any automatic corrections that are done while scanning? i suppse the software wants to do this since the original image does not have much contrast, which is normal for fog images, but the software tries to adjust it to mainstream contrast.

i was about to complain about the strange distortion and the strange brownish frame ;)

Well. Yes. Do complain about our tables, just start complaining ;) ;) ;)!!!
I wanted to let it be seen that this is a photo of the print, du Dödel du! (the last was exclusively for Alex!!!) ;)

Alex_B said:
can you switch off any automatic corrections that are done while scanning?

scannerzu.jpg
scanneroffen.jpg

Well, can I? What do you think?
I personally think that I can NOT... I just can't see any buttons. :roll:

I wanted to let it be seen that this is a photo of the print, du Dödel du! (the last was exclusively for Alex!!!) ;)

pah! Ich bin kein Dödel.

Well, can I? What do you think?
I personally think that I can NOT... I just can't see any buttons. :roll:

OK, that is the scanner. but it is connected to the computer and on the computer there must be a driver for the scanner.

when you push the scan button, normally the software is started on the computer.

but you should also be able to start the software by itself, and set the settings and then scan (initiated via the software). You certainly installed some software when you first attached the scanner?

pah! Ich bin kein Dödel.

:hug:: 'türlich nicht! (See your PM, Dr Alexander :D)

And sure there came some software with the scanner ... :er: will I have to study that more closely - now that the scanner is older than three years??? :grumpy: Hmph...

:er: will I have to study that more closely - now that the scanner is older than three years??? :grumpy: Hmph...

Think of it this way: do you shoot your camera in full auto mode? That's the same as using the scanner in full auto... the scanner is like another camera- and in this case, the bottle neck of your workflow.

BTW, I hope you can share a better representation of that photo:D

Turn of all of the automatic options in the scanning software, then rescan.

Most reactions

Back