Unblinking eye

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never been particularly good at naming artwork, so sorry about the cliche title.

Scan from black and white print. 8x10 enlargement on Arista glossy paper.

img107.jpg

Is this ready for critique? Max, what says you?

I like the photo, it has depth, and I'd like to see the print.

But I'm not so hot on the title. I don't think a title should be so interesting that it takes away from the visual impact of the print.

That's what the "unblinking eye" does, in this case.

Also, the "unblinking eye" is a pretty well-known metaphor for a camera lens.

Why not try a title a little more low-key?

I like the photo, it has depth, and I'd like to see the print.

But I'm not so hot on the title. I don't think a title should be so interesting that it takes away from the visual impact of the print.

That's what the "unblinking eye" does, in this case.

Also, the "unblinking eye" is a pretty well-known metaphor for a camera lens.

Why not try a title a little more low-key?

Thanks, Bobby.

Someone at work suggested "Seen Better Days," which I don't care for, either. Maybe I should just leave it untitled. It's the headlight from a 1964 Chevy truck I found along the tracks one day. Looking back on it I'm lucky I didn't get plugged with lead for trespassing. There's a lot of mine claims up in them thar parts, and those prospectors get a little edgy! :lol:

Oh, and I didn't know about the unblinking eye/camera lens thing! I've got that filed away now.

Any other comments on this one? General are fine. If not, I'm gonna tread lightly in the Critique forum. Never been there before..:blushing:

i like it but i think a little more of the front clip in the shot woulda looked better. or less of the front so it was more of just the headlight.

What was your printing workflow?

Most of the highlights are squarely in zone 7, and the shadows are falling off pretty quickly.

What was your printing workflow?

Most of the highlights are squarely in zone 7, and the shadows are falling off pretty quickly.

I'm gonna say right off the bat that I have no idea about what you're asking about in reference to my workflow, Max. Do you mean my technique or something?

I'm reading up on the zone system. Kinda makes me wish I'd taken a class in this stuff..:p

Well if you made a test strip, you should have seen that the highlights were too dark.

Well if you made a test strip, you should have seen that the highlights were too dark.

Gottcha. They don't seem as dark in the print. Friggin' scanner :grumpy: I bet it'd be fun throwing it off the roof! :D

I'll take it out of the frame and re-scan it, as the comments in the critique forum say it's too dark as well.

Most reactions

Back