Undecided

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last year I participated in our town's annual Art Walk. Local artists share their work in the storefronts of our local businesses. I've signed up again this year but now that it's getting closer, I really am just not feeling it. I pretty much procrastinated on choosing what shots to use and now I'm at the deadline if I want to print anything new. Last year I had a sunflowers theme and used a group of photos I'd taken at a local farm. This year I was going to use flower photos but wanted to go with some of the less traditional ones and can't decide if that's how I should go. I would like to keep it as a comprehensive theme and not be all over the place... although there are 2 windows so I could split into 2 different groupings. At this point I'm considering withdrawing if I can't make some decisions today. Any input would be welcome. Some examples of the two options:

Traditional

Untitled by SharonCat..., on Flickr

More "artsy"/abstract

Burst of color by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Primrose dreams by SharonCat..., on Flickr

The problem with flower images is... EVERYONE does them. There are simply so many it's very difficult to stand out, or come up with something new. All are nice, but "Burst of colour" is absolutely stellar. I think "Primrose" might be a close second if you cropped away the sides and left the middle third as a portrait.

My 2 cents. I think your talent really shines in your artistic manipulations. Artsy, abstract, impressionistic - you have a distinct creative style and the images are unique and eye catching. I think those might separate you from the crowd more.

I agree with the posts above.

The artistic images are wonderful. These are the type of images that people do not get to see every day which in turn will have a greater impact.

P.S. Don't give up!

Your flower photos are stellar and would be hard to pick. I agree with going with the artistic type photos to stand out.

Artistic type if you decide.

The problem with flower images is... EVERYONE does them. There are simply so many it's very difficult to stand out, or come up with something new. All are nice, but "Burst of colour" is absolutely stellar. I think "Primrose" might be a close second if you cropped away the sides and left the middle third as a portrait.

My 2 cents. I think your talent really shines in your artistic manipulations. Artsy, abstract, impressionistic - you have a distinct creative style and the images are unique and eye catching. I think those might separate you from the crowd more.

I agree with the posts above.

The artistic images are wonderful. These are the type of images that people do not get to see every day which in turn will have a greater impact.

P.S. Don't give up!

Your flower photos are stellar and would be hard to pick. I agree with going with the artistic type photos to stand out.

Artistic type if you decide.

Thanks all for the input and the encouragement. I really appreciate and value the advice from members of this board. My initial instinct to go with the less traditional stuff lines up with the comments of everyone who has responded, which is reassuring.

Now I have to figure out which photos to use.

And then there are the rest of us that like the 3rd one more than the others..........
But the 5th one is very nice also.

Dang. You might be right about #3.

And then there are the rest of us that like the 3rd one more than the others..........

Dang. You might be right about #3.

#3 is one of my favorite flower photos that I’ve ever taken. I have it hanging in my kitchen. It’s one of the main reasons I’ve been reconsidering going with all abstract/artsy theme.

The artsy ones aren't that far removed from reality. I don't think the two styles displayed together would clash.

Last year I participated in our town's annual Art Walk. Local artists share their work in the storefronts of our local businesses. I've signed up again this year but now that it's getting closer, I really am just not feeling it. I pretty much procrastinated on choosing what shots to use and now I'm at the deadline if I want to print anything new. Last year I had a sunflowers theme and used a group of photos I'd taken at a local farm. This year I was going to use flower photos but wanted to go with some of the less traditional ones and can't decide if that's how I should go. I would like to keep it as a comprehensive theme and not be all over the place... although there are 2 windows so I could split into 2 different groupings. At this point I'm considering withdrawing if I can't make some decisions today. Any input would be welcome. Some examples of the two options:

Traditional

More "artsy"/abstract

Burst of color by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Primrose dreams by SharonCat..., on Flickr

I agree you should go with the ones called "artistic." I think that means it shows your vision and is not just selling the flower. There are lots of flower pictures all over the place, but citing the subject doesn't come close to describing what you do with it.

They all have individual characteristics that make them great. #1 has wonderful detail, #2 has a nice contrast between subject and background. Immediately #3 makes you study all the myriad and various colors in the shot. #4 gives the illusion of movement and #5 looks like a very nice watercolor. I think the last has become my favorite of your group. In my mind, this transforms from a flower to a detail in a lady's neckline of an evening gown with a silver and diamond necklace just out of focus. The solid pastel pink is a beautiful tone and the colors compliment each other very well without being too busy.

I really like "Burst of Color", you need to participate again and get that image out there.

Most reactions

Back