Under Armour Advertising

osumisan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
motionshooter.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone know how Under Armour gets the look on their ads? I can see that they are consistent with backlit subjects and strong ratio to shadow. Is there a filter or camera setting that gives the silvery sheen to the entire image? I have been searching through forums and youtube but can't seem to find much of the subject.

Is there a filter or camera setting that gives the silvery sheen to the entire image?
It doesn't look like either.

A lot of the fabrics Under Armour clothes are made from have a sheen, but the consistent element is the lighting. To decode lighting, look at the highlights and the shadows.

A quick look at their web site it looks like they use 2 good sized strip softboxes so the shadow edges are very diffuse and both are pointed 90° from the lens axis at the subject. The lights are at the same distance from the camera as the subject. That produces strong side lighting on both sides of the model. One side light is somewhat brighter than the other.
In addition, they likely have a somewhat smaller softbox near, somewhat above, and somewhat to the side of the camera position (look at the more defined shadow and shadow edge cast by the models chin) to light the models face and front of the clothes.

Add some lights to the background that are flagged so light doesn't bounce back (spill) onto the subject. The subject is also likely 8 or more feet from the background which also eliminates background spill.

Most reactions

Back