"Under the Step" | Stepping Stone Falls | RI

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Headed over to Stepping Stone falls in RI this morning to scout it out for a one-on-one workshop I'm hosting this saturday morning. Good thing is, there's a perfect amount of water and it looks really nice in the morning.

_RSP5766 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Thoughts on this?

Nikon D800
Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII
Lee Landscape Polarizer
Lee Little Stopper
Lee 0.6 GND Soft

Jake

Gorgeous photo, looks like a really peaceful spot! I Really like the colors!
Maybe a touch too long of exposure? I get what you were trying to do in the composure of the image, but In my opinion, the mossy rock detracts from the beauty of the falls.

I was just thinking the same exact thing. Just a tad too long for my taste, but I get why given the workshop and all.

Either way, really digging the location.

I was just thinking the same exact thing. Just a tad too long for my taste, but I get why given the workshop and all.

Either way, really digging the location.

In terms of exposure length, this spot is tricky. A shorter exposure to retain details in the water flow would have made the small trickles look messy. The only way to really get smooth small trickles like the ones on the right are with longer exposures. And, personally, when the water is low like this, I like the idea of super smooth water. So a bit of my long exposure ness here is technique, but most of it is personal taste.

Thanks for the input, it's a beautiful location. Tricky to get to, but well worth the drive.

Jake

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I like it a lot. There's probably a fine line between just the right milky quality and too much exposure. Add in the complexity of flow rates across a wide set of falls like this and it could be a dilemma. Looks very nice to me.

Jim, you're right....there's a very fine line. And it's borne upon by flow rates, which here, are different. Makes it difficult.

I agree, I really like the picture and I think the moss adds to it rather that detracts. When I do shots like this I like to include the moss and surrounding vegetation.

Is this picture tilted maybe a degree or two to the left? Seems so.....

Jim, you're right....there's a very fine line. And it's borne upon by flow rates, which here, are different. Makes it difficult.

I agree, I really like the picture and I think the moss adds to it rather that detracts. When I do shots like this I like to include the moss and surrounding vegetation.

Is this picture tilted maybe a degree or two to the left? Seems so.....

I don't believe so. The falls themselves are at a slight angle.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, very nice. The angle makes the whole scene look very refreshing.

Glad you like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back