Underexposed pics

pequenina_13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello

I've done my first maternity photo shoot but I think the photos are too dark and dull. I did not use any extra lighting and did not use flash because my instructor is always telling us not to use it. I followed everything he has taught us but I still did something wrong. So, i tryed fixing the pictures by lightening them up but when i printed them, they did not look anything like i saw on my computer. Some look ok but others look like i fixed them to much, the contrast is off. How do i get my computer to show me exactly what the picture is going to look like when it's printed? Also, how do I avoid taking dark pictures again? Should i use my flash regardless? PLEASE HELP!

There is no one answer to whether or not you should use flash. It is a creative tool and there is no rule that says when or when not to use it. Saying that you should never use flash is also the wrong answer. You can accomplish very good photos with a dedicated flash with an off shoe cord. The idea is to get the flash off of the camera... or bounce it off walls.

Your other concern is regarding printing. A few questions..
1) How are you printing the photos? Ink jet at home? lab?
2) Is your monitor calibrated?

I've sent them to Costco and note sure how to calibrate my monitor, can you help?

Monitors are never right. I don't think there's any way to "calibrate" them. That's the reason that graphic designers still use pantone swatch booklets to make sure they're selecting the right colors.

The printer can also be a problem.

It's very difficult to coordinate everything, unless you're a professional print shop.

I have the printer profiles which i have put on the photos using photoshop but i'm afraid to print them again, i think I will only print one to see. I really wish that i could see the correct photos that are going to be printed on my computer.

To properly calibrate a monitor, you need a hardware device like the ColorVision Spyder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back