Underground waterfall, which crop?

idcanyon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
#1...In the cropped version I like the increased focus on the caver busting through the waterfall, but is there enough context?
06092765_2_1.jpg

#2...Does this give a better sense of what's happening? Or is the whole thing too other-worldly to be sensible? I'm trying to decide which version to send in to a caving magazine. At least there the context will be clear.
06092765_1.jpg

Thoughts?

Nothing in the image effectively suggests the waterfall is underground, or that the caver is emerging from the waterfall having come through it from behind.
Some may be able to figure out that the waterfall is underground from the 2nd wider angle crop, but not many, unless they are cavers too.

The image is well lit, exposed, and focused.

I prefer the second shot, more of the cave helps with the context. Nice shot by the way.

KMH nailed it. The second shot is preferrable, for the greater context it provides/

Thanks all. There seems to be a consensus on the crop.
Nothing in the image effectively suggests...that the caver is emerging from the waterfall having come through it from behind.
I must say I am rather astonished by this. My imagination isn't able to provide me with any other action which may be taking place. Is this how others feel as well? Perhaps this image is basically a flop?

It's because we can't see the cave behind the waterfall, and there is no ceiling to tell us it's an enclosed space. I'd assume a lot of us aren't cavers, so it's probably not the first conclusion that we'd jump to without any more visual clues. I wouldn't say it's a flop at all, you've a really cool setting, some pretty awesome action and a nice shot that's been well exposed, sharp and interesting.

Oh, and I also prefer the inclusion of the overhanging rock in the 2nd.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back