Understanding Exposure question

julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What does Peterson mean when he says he "presets his focus via the distance scale on the font of the lens?"

I'm having trouble getting everything sharp from front to back when I need it.
I'm using a Canon 5D and a 24-70mm 2.8.

Thank you

My guess (just finishing the book) is that he is referring to the analog scale that is on the top of his (and my) lens. Remember a stop of f/22 or near there is part of the puzzle. Also you have to take the exposure to see the results, in case you are using live view, etc..

-Shea :mrgreen:

most modern zoom lenses no longer have the footage scales and if they do it usually only covers f11 or f16.

DOF is controled by more than just fstop, it includes focal point and focal length.

My guess (just finishing the book) is that he is referring to the analog scale that is on the top of his (and my) lens. Remember a stop of f/22 or near there is part of the puzzle. Also you have to take the exposure to see the results, in case you are using live view, etc..

-Shea :mrgreen:
I think your right. most of my Minolta lenses have it on them. but I don't think more modern lenses do. at least none that I've seen or have.

Well in the context of the book he is discussing setting the focal length just by the analog scale in exposures ranging form f/16 - f/32, and how the preview through the view finder is misleading.

-S

Most commonly on prime lenses you will find the Depth Of Field (DOF) scale on the barrel of the lens.

You would set your aperture, say f16, on your lens. Then looking at the scale you find both of the markings for f16. Figure out what is the maximum distance you want and set one marking to that. The other will show the minimum distance that will be in focus.

Most reactions

Back