Understanding Photography Terms

crowl31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I read the post and replies on the site I find myself confused. If someone could help explain this to me that would be great.

1. fast maximum aperture - What exactly does that mean and how to you read apertures. Like F3.5 isn't as good as F1.4

2. Is aperture the most important thing to consider when buying a lens?

3. External Flash - Do i need one? I have the XTI with built in flash but would advantages would i get with a external flash?

Thanks!

1. fast maximum aperture - What exactly does that mean and how to you read apertures. Like F3.5 isn't as good as F1.4

Thats subjective. A lower F-stop brings more of the picture in focus, but will be "slower". A higher F-stop (1.4) will be faster, but have a shallow depth of field. It all depends on what you want to use them for. The speed is moot if you have a stationary subject (portrait, etc).

2. Is aperture the most important thing to consider when buying a lens?

Again, depends on what you need it for. Generally speaking, if you're buying for a fast aperture (F/1.8 across the focal length), you gonna spend some cash, versus buying for focal length (18-55MM) only. If you have the cash (300 bucks and up) definitely look at AP first, focal second, because at that point it really doesnt matter what it costs.

3. External Flash - Do i need one? I have the XTI with built in flash but would advantages would i get with a external flash?

Better flash, ability to stage more creative scenes, etc. etc. I would work on understanding the camera first though. Then once you look at the flash, you'll be able to see how it would be advantageous in some of the photos you had taken.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back