Understanding Shutter Speed?

VADER1775

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just picked up "Understanding Exposure", but did not start reading yet. Should I also get "Understanding Shutter Speed"?

Exposure is a result of shutter speed, aperture and the sensitivity of the medium (ISO)...so I'm sure shutter speed is covered in 'Understanding Exposure'.

Plus, I doubt there is a book with the second title you mention.

Of course, there are aspects of shutter speed (and type) you need to understand eg. flash synch and the effect of blind motion (with FP shutters) on fast moving subjects, but these will be dealt with by a book on general photography

Check outmy website (link in the sig). I have a tutorial that sets it out pretty well. And if Vader were around in 1775, Gates and the redcoats wouldn't have stood a chance. (Hohhhhh Hahhhhh. WHERE IS THE HIDDEN REDCOAT BASE?)

Plus, I doubt there is a book with the second title you mention.

Of course, there are aspects of shutter speed (and type) you need to understand eg. flash synch and the effect of blind motion (with FP shutters) on fast moving subjects, but these will be dealt with by a book on general photography

No, there is; written by the same person, and even sat next to the first title on the shelf at Borders. Thanks

No, there is; written by the same person, and even sat next to the first title on the shelf at Borders. Thanks

Damn!

I knew I shoud have Googled before I wrote that.

I doubt no longer. :lmao:

But what's to understand about shutter speed that looking at the back of an open film camera (slr) and watching as you press the shutter release won't teach you?

Serious question.

But what's to understand about shutter speed that looking at the back of an open film camera (slr) and watching as you press the shutter release won't teach you?

Serious question.

Serious answer:

Relationship to flash synch.

Interaction between blind motion and moving subject. (eg shear of racing car with high shutter seed).

Actual effect of change of shutter seed with objects moving at different speeds at different distances.

Very slow shutter speeds and reciprocity failure if using film.

For me those are all answered by watching the back of an opened camera. What else ya got?

#4 is more about the properties of the film though.

For me those are all answered by watching the back of an opened camera.

You flatter yourself.

You did not work out those things from scratch just by looking at an open camera.

Even then, just watching the shutter operate will tell you nothing about, for example, how varying shutter speeds affect the catured image of moving water.

Whatever, if someone still needs to read a basic book on exposure I think it's fair to assume that he may need a little help with these things.

What say you, OP?

I own and have read both. "Understanding Exposure" is a good all-round beginner book, and "Understanding Shutter Speed" is quite similar, just focused on shutter speed (therefore less general). However, after you have read "Understanding Exposure", you will already be a bit further from the absolute beginner, and will therefore learn less from "Understanding Shutter Speed" then you did from "Understanding Exposure". Some parts of USS are covered in UE, but not all.
What I like about Petersons books are not the explanations, but rather the photographs and the ideas he gives you. As a beginner, I find that his photographs inspire me to experiment, and his writing usually gives a simple explanation as to how the picture was taken. Very beginner friendly.
However, if you feel you're ready to face more serious challenges and books, then you should maybe skip this one.

I have understand Shutter Speed its a great book....It gave a better understanding. I wish I had this book earlier. it a must get. I also Understanding Exposure, also a great book if you learning about Photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back