Understanding the Circle of Confusion?? (image sharpness vs. background/foreground)

I do not own a tripod I usually hold my breath when shooting, I also usually shoot action in continuous mode so I'll shoot for about 4-5 seconds rapid fire (or as rapid fire as my camera gets) then breath let the camera catch up with putting the images on the SD card and shoot again.
You might take a hint from pistol and rifle shooters for whom it is very important to be able to hold an optic precisely on a specific point. Holding your breath with full lungs will actually hurt your steadiness. Breath calmly and normally, or even a bit shallowly. Your grip will naturally move the camera in a small figure-eight motion while you try to hold it steady. The figure eight will get smaller and smaller to a minimum then will grow back again sort of like a slow pendulum rythm. The steadiest moment is at the crossing point of that figure eight when the swing is at it's minimum. Just before you are ready to take the shot let your breath out normally, then pause before inhaling and take the picture during the pause. Give it a half a second or so after the click before you resume breathing normally without a gasp.
If you want to experiment to see how this works try it with your longest lens on a sunny day and try holding the center reticle on a distant point.
You are actually more stable at the end of an exhale with relaxed emptier lungs than you at the end of an inhale with full clamped lungs. When you get used to this feeling there is no problem taking a ten second pause with empty lungs if needed . You will learn that you don't die or pass out in that short time. Think of it like yoga or zen..
You cannot hold absolutely stable, but you can learn your bodies patterns to find your own moment of least motion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back