Understanding Zoom

brdy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi new to camera stuff. I have a Canon G11 had it for about 12months now. Its has 5x times optical zoom. I have asked myself what does this really mean, why because Im thinking of progressing to a dslr body, perhaps the Canon 60D and have been thinking about what lenses i would get to go with it. And I'd like to know what a telephoto lens of 70-200mm lens will give me. My point and shoot G11 has a 28-140mm lens which I have been told is how marketing people come up with term "5x zoom" since 28 x 5= 140 .
Ok if this is so then a lens that is 50-250mm is also a 5X zoom. Now its here Im getting confused,probably because I have never had a dslr with a telephoto lens so have no experience about what sort of image I'm going to get. But am I correct in thinking that whilst both lenes are 5 times zoom the 50-250mm will give me nearly double the zoomed in image that the 28-140mm lens will because the starting point of magnification is different. Or will the camera sensor size make a big difference here.
My girl friend has a TZ10 which has 15X zoom ..Is that same as a 50-750mm on a camera with an APS-C sensor. I assume sensor in the TZ10 would be a lot smaller. As you can see Im confused

70-200 gives you X3 almost at the long end. Your G11 doesn't have a 28-140 it has the equivalent (in 35mm terms) of 28-140. I'm guessing but it probably has something more like a 4-20mm lens.

50-250 will give you almost twice the focal range of a 28-140.

Sensor size isn't a consideration when comparing as it's already factored into the 'marketing' of saying the G11 has a "28-140". However the depth of field at given apertures will be different with the G11 compared to an APS-C sensor camera.

Last edited:
You're pretty much spot on. The "x" in zoom is simply the ratio that the narrow end goes into the long end (EG: 50-250 = 5x zoom). The size of teh sensor has a major impact on field of view. Focal lengths are all based on full-frame/35mm sensor size. For instance on an APS-C body with a 1.5 crop factor, the 50-250mm lens is still a 5x zoom, BUT it gives the field of view of a 75-375mm lens.

The TZ10 could be anything, it depends on the sensor size and where it's field of view/focal length "starts" (that is: What the wide end is).

Hi tirediron .... Understand now that all lenses are based on 35mm full frame sensor ...so when a 50-250mm lens is put on a camera with APS-C sized sensor that it acts like a 75-375mm. Now my question is this a magnification of field of view or is it merely cropping the full frame view. If its not a magnification then really the lens is the same on both sensors just the APS-C just crops the center bit out of the image. Or am I wrong.. Also if I had two lenses a 20-300mm and a 100-300mm will the resultant field of view of both the lenses at full zoom be exactly the same..

Get all that stuff outta your head. Your lens focal length is just that.... your lens focal length.

If you really want to take it a step further, then your field of view is 1.6 times (for Canon) greater on an APS-C body than a full frame. All said and done, the focal length remains the same.

I agree with Kundalini - don't worry about what the zoom factor is, what matters is the focal length. Think of 50mm as a "standard" zoom - that's roughly equal to what you see without any kind of magnification.

So the 28mm-140mm lens on your G11 is going to go a bit wider than standard, and can zoom in a bit closer than standard.
The 50mm-250mm lens is going to start at standard, giving you no wide-angle options, but it will zoom in a lot closer than your G11 can.

That "5x zoom" is a statistic you're only going to see on point and shoot cameras and doesn't really mean anything because two cameras or lenses can have "5x zoom" and have a completely different field of view, but the focal length (when converted to 35mm film equivalent) is an industry standard of measurement.

70-200 gives you X3 almost at the long end. Your G11 doesn't have a 28-140 it has the equivalent (in 35mm terms) of 28-140. I'm guessing but it probably has something more like a 4-20mm lens.

50-250 will give you almost twice the focal range of a 28-140.

Sensor size isn't a consideration when comparing as it's already factored into the 'marketing' of saying the G11 has a "28-140". However the depth of field at given apertures will be different with the G11 compared to an APS-C sensor camera.

Actually a 50-250mm will give you *more* than double the 28-140mm. The 28-140mm has already been converted to the 35mm equivalency, like you said...but the 50-250mm hasn't been. Once you convert it to the 35mm equivalent it comes out to roughly 80-400mm.

True! Nice one

Most reactions

New Topics

Back