UniqBall Tripod head... would you do it?

sk66

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I became aware of the UniqBall recently. It's seems very cool and versatile. There seems to be quite a bit of interest/enthusiasm for them (considering how new it is). Here's a review by Andy Rouse; he says it's the only tripod head he's using for anything... even replacing his gimbal heads for large lenses like 600mm f/4.

The problem is the price is pretty stiff for most. It's in a "reasonable" range if you consider a high quality head with a similar weight rating AND a leveling base (and it's actually pretty lightweight considering).

It is NOT a "replacement" for a gimbal with long lenses. Instead the UBH 45 can be used as a leveled pan-tilt with even the heaviest lenses... And you loose the leveling function if you flop the head to portrait orientation (L-bracket required for leveled portrait orientation).

IMO neither of those are "killers," but it's not quite the "do all" Andy makes it sound like.

Here's my issue... I can import/distribute them in the USA with a retail price of ~ $525/$325 without a terribly large cost outlay (relatively)... would you do it if you were me? Oh, and I've never actually seen/used one yet.

Not for that price. But thats just me.

I could see this ending up on my "dream setup" list ;)

Breaking the $500 psychological barrier is not good. It would sell better at $498.95 than it would at $525. I does look like a wonderful product, but one with zero track record in terms of reliability or service after the sale. Central or Eastern European manufacture is not really a "plus" in my book either. It looks good in the videos. It's attractively finished. Hell, I'd love to have one.

Not my thing dangling a 500 F/4 or 800 F/5.6 off that. He might well of sold his, but a Gimbal head is darn strong and not keen on that tripod he has there either. Still, he knows what he's doing for sure. Just not for me is all.

Danny.

Breaking the $500 psychological barrier is not good. It would sell better at $498.95 than it would at $525. I does look like a wonderful product, but one with zero track record in terms of reliability or service after the sale. Central or Eastern European manufacture is not really a "plus" in my book either. It looks good in the videos. It's attractively finished. Hell, I'd love to have one.
I agree...
their track record isn't zero, but it's not much either.
I think the smaller head is the more "realistic" choice for most... ~$325 sale price and rated for 33lbs.

Not my thing dangling a 500 F/4 or 800 F/5.6 off that. He might well of sold his, but a Gimbal head is darn strong and not keen on that tripod he has there either. Still, he knows what he's doing for sure. Just not for me is all.

Danny.

Like I said, it's definitely not a direct replacement for a Gimbal... but a gimbal is a pretty limited, specialized, and expensive head. The large head is rated for 90lbs, that's a lot more than any gimbal I know of... I don't think that's the limiting factor in making a choice.

It's neat, but not neat enough to make me give up my AcraTech GP. I agree with Derrel that breaching the $500 mark will make it a tough sell, especially against established brands like AcraTech, RRS, Markins and others. I'd definitely be tempted to try one however. I'm quite curious to know how the inner ball works to give the feel of a gimbal head, and if it actually works as well as they make it look in the video. I imagine you might be able to sell them in small quantities if you imported them. You might want to get your hands on one first however and "live" with it for a week or so and see how you feel about it. Who knows, it could become a hit.

It's neat, but not neat enough to make me give up my AcraTech GP. I agree with Derrel that breaching the $500 mark will make it a tough sell, especially against established brands like AcraTech, RRS, Markins and others. I'd definitely be tempted to try one however. I'm quite curious to know how the inner ball works to give the feel of a gimbal head, and if it actually works as well as they make it look in the video. I imagine you might be able to sell them in small quantities if you imported them. You might want to get your hands on one first however and "live" with it for a week or so and see how you feel about it. Who knows, it could become a hit.
I love AcraTech heads...
It doesn't give the feel of a gimbal at all... It gives the feel of a leveled pan tilt and that's how it works in that mode. The inner ball only tilts on one axis as it rotates...it probably has roller bearings on either side of it that move along in a groove. The actual design of this must be similar to a gimbal ring.

The heads are building a bit of a customer base/following overseas.

One SERIOUS, glaring omission from the promo videos is a clear, pointed, specific explanation of how and why it keeps things level. This is a case of a person who made a video, and fails to realize what it is that he has NOT stated, and what he has NOT taken the time to actually explain because, well, he has the product, and he has used it,and he understands how the thing functions.

The idea of a ball-head that cannot be freely moved to any desired position is a new concept to many people, and the video needs to expressly and with clear language, and better yet a diagram or animation, actually SHOW, as in s_h_o_w h_o_w the system "works" from a mechanical drawing point of view.

This is similar to a writer who writes a blog post or article, and assumes a base of knowledge that only he and a select few others possess, and then wonders why people do not immediately agree with his writing.

Danny.

Like I said, it's definitely not a direct replacement for a Gimbal... but a gimbal is a pretty limited, specialized, and expensive head. The large head is rated for 90lbs, that's a lot more than any gimbal I know of... I don't think that's the limiting factor in making a choice.

But you say the head is rated at 90lbs, what is the tripod rated at that it sits on ;) What lens weighs in at 90lbs. My 800 weighs in at around 10lbs and its actually a matter of balance with a gimbal head, not how much it can hold. Friction control with a gimbal head using ball bearing races is smooth as silk in X and Y. They are all sitting on a small thread anyway. Put a large lens in the wind sitting on a small tripod with a very expensive head and over it goes, no matter what head. Nothing to do with the head at all, more to do with the tripod.

Lets see, for EUR 495 buys a decent gimbal head and a decent tripod that's been proven for decades.

All the best and like I said, its just not for me.

Danny.

Last edited:
All the best and like I said, its just not for me.
No worries, I'm not trying to sell anyone or convince anyone of anything... just getting opinions...
I also sometimes use a gimbal head on a massive tripod with my big setups (~15lbs). But more often I use it *handheld* or with a monopod.
(and my tripod cost more than that)

Most reactions

Back