What's new

Unlimited Vivitar budget... Suggestions??

Ursinamus

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 27, 2010
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
Location
Pennsylvainia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad has many connections in the business world and has come to know the owner of Vivitar. So, he asked me to make a small list of things I would like from the brand and he could hook me up. Noow its up to me to try and find the best stuff possible from this company. I have a Canon Rebel XS. I found the DF-483 flash (only because its like the most expensive) and a battery grip. I was looking at tripods also but they dont seem of good quality... Like they were all under $50 and I put $90 down for my manfrotto last year. Also does the remote shutter release for the XSi work with the XS? Any suggestions for this brand would be great. BTW im trying to get into portraiture but do mostly nature, sports and urban work. Thanks!!!!
 
Thought they were only manual? Im concerned that it would be too complicated for me?
 
They are, but use them off camera and they work great. I have an sb600 too, and shoot it manual most of the time, i don't use TTL... Maybe just get some, and if you can't figure them out, sell em! They're free right? haha
 
True haha, maybe i'll just ask for both!
 
Thought they were only manual? Im concerned that it would be too complicated for me?

The vivitar 285hv has auto modes as well as manual. It's not TTL, but it does have a sensor on the flash to modulate the power automatically for a given aperture.

Vivitar makes a lot of modern equipment as well, including great TTL flashes. Why don't you just go to their website: Dedicated Flashes :: Flashes and Accessories :: Vivitar
 
Right, but theres like 5 different dedicated flashes. WHICH ONE? Im not a flash wiz at all
 
How about the 85mm f/1.4 manual lens from Vivitar?
85MM-C :: 85MM Aspherical Lens for Canon :: Vivitar

Would you consider it better than the Canon 50mm 1.8?

There are a hundred or more lens designs that are better than the Canon 50mm 1.8 EF-II. I owned one. I gave it to my wife's nephew and told him, "it's a piece of crap when shot toward the sun." The Vivitar/Samyang/whatever 85mm f/1.4 manual focusing lens is sold all over the world, under multiple names. It's performance is pretty good, and it has a small, dedicated following among manual focusing afficionados in several Asian countries, where bokeh is a big deal. Since the Canon 50/1.8 has a five-sided diaphragm, a stripped down, simplified optical formula compared to other 50/1.8's or 50/2's made in the last 35 years, and has some of the absolute worst bokeh of any 50 currently made, and the 85/1.4 is new and costs 2.5x more, has quite good bokeh, and is not made to be the lightest, cheapest, most high-profit margin product possible, the 85mm f/1.4 Vivitar is actually an excellent lens by comparison.
 
The above advice concerning visiting their website is well worth following. In just 10 minutes of browsing I found quite a few products I would not mind having for my nikons.

Batteries
Grips
Remote shutter releases
Off camera ttl flash cables
Dedicated and slave speedlites
7mm and 13mm fiseyes for the unique field of view they offer

It was not very hard to decipher the products applicable to my cameras. It's good to ask opinions from the forum but it's also good to do some of the research work yourself.

edit: I forgot to mention, just because you have the possibility of getting a bunch of stuff for free it's not a good idea to simply ask for one of everything, you'll just come across as a spoilt brat. You'll earn yourself and your dad a lot of respect by presenting a restrained and carefully considered wish list. Do not forget to graciously thank the owner of Vivitar for this unique opportunity.
 
Last edited:
I understand... I narrowed it down to the 85mm, a new flash, the fish eye and a few small accessories. My dad just sent the owner over 25 books since he works for scholastic, so its all mutual benefits haha.
 
The older Vivitar 283's and 285's are great. The nerer, made in china models are very dubious in build quality. So bad, that Vivitar (Sakar) discontinued their production again.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom