Unloading film goes wrong in the store

@O|||||||O

I didn't rewind it. She did it and she didn't feel any tension, I could tell . The film didn't come out of the spool. Even though she removed it quite quickly, I noticed that. And, about the camera... It kind of has the reputation of being a very tricky camera and I kind of question myself if it wasn't the combination of cheap film with tricky camera that resulted in this... But, even if that was the case, the film could have been saved. The way it all happened wasn't right.

@BlackSheep

No, there's nothing like that near me. Although, I've got a friend that understands a little bit about Film Photography. I'll ask him about this when he comes to town.

@sierramister

I've got a DSLR. But, my point is not to simply take photographs. I want to take "film photographs", if you see what i mean...

@
cgipson1

She was indeed unprofessional, but I was also stupid for not having done anything... Well, I surely am not buying any more of those chinese films... Next one: Fuji!

@
davepit

You're right, 35mm is commercially dead. But, I do would expect an employee from one of the most popular stores for developing film to know how to rewind it.

@
Mot

Thank you for the suggestion, but let me see if I got this straight: I load the film, close the back side of the camera and start to rewind the film. And, after doing it (and trying to not rewind the entire film, or else I'll need to fish it out), I'll open the back side of the camera (in a room without much light) and load the film again. The film should then be ready to go, although probably the first 2-3 frames are already burned - Am I right? And, I could do this more than once (= practicing more), since "re-burning" the same 2-3 frames won't affect much since they were already burned, right?

@andremartins

That's right. I'm guessing that you still have the film that got spoilt, wouldn't it be possible to wind that in by hand and load it back into the camera? If there aren't any photos you want to save on it then you won't have to worry about exposing the film, because it has been exposed already.

But yeah, if you are wanting to practice with some fresh film you can just load it and run the film through while the lens caps is still on. Then rewind it as much as you feel you can, open the back and wind the rest back in by hand but leaving the leader out so there's something to put into the take-up spool. This itself takes practice but it was the only option if you needed to change film half way through a roll.

@compur

Thanks, but I know how to load a film. I've just never successfully rewound one.

@
Mot

I still have the spoilt film, but I can't rewind it totally by my hands. I can only rewind almost half of the film. And, It would be useless to practice rewinding the film with the spoilt chinese one, because it lacks quality (right?) . But, I'll do what you've suggested before, when I buy the next film (now, a Fuji!). I'll have "waste" some frames, but at least I'll practice enough, so that this situation doesn't happen again . Mot, thank you for all the answers you've given me in this thread. I appreciate it .

@cgipson1

I can't tell if your in "advertising mode" or if you're really making a suggestion in here .

If you can only get half of the roll back in the cartridge, there's probably something wrong with it. Since it's already ruined, I would pop one of the end caps off (a standard bottle opener works fine for this) and see what's going on in there...

@

@cgipson1

I can't tell if your in "advertising mode" or if you're really making a suggestion in here .

Dude... I don't advertise.. that is a valid link to the tool you would need for retrieving your film leader.. I was trying to be helpful..... as I said, any film shooter should have that tool, and know how to use it. If you have a roll of unexposed film and the leader gets pulled into the casing, you are screwed unless you have one of these. And if that is your last roll, on a shoot that is going well.... what are you going to do. It happens.... I shot film for over 20 years... and worked in labs too...

@cgipson1

Oh, I see. Yes, I should buy one of those...
I was confused whether you were advertising or not because you didn't explain yourself. Sorry for my assumptions and thank you for the advise .

@cgipson1

Oh, I see. Yes, I should buy one of those...
I was confused whether you were advertising or not because you didn't explain yourself. Sorry for my assumptions and thank you for the advise .

No problem! With the current lack of film expertise on the part of many processing lab employees, it is a good idea to be able to do as much as possible yourself, and not have to depend on them.... as was demonstrated by your unfortunate experience.

You can find the tool elsewhere.. the main thing is to know what you need.. the link I posted suffices for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back