Unloading SD cards on the go

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I am going on a cruise in a week. I am wondering the best way to download my photos from SD cards on the trip without having to take my laptop. I have a 1TB external hard drive, and wondering if there is a way to do this without needing a computer.

Or would it be just as easy to grab extra SD cards? I currently have (2) 32GB cards, so I feel like I have ample storage space, but it just scares me to leave all those photos on a card for the whole week. Would hate to lose photos from a failed, misplaced, or stolen card, and therefore like the added peace of mind of backing up.

There are dedicated photo card backup devices, such as those found here:

Amazon.com digital foci photo safe ii

I have one that I got maybe 15 years ago that holds up to 60 GB, and it's come in handy for this sort of thing more than once.

Don't know if you have the budget for any of them, nor if you have the time to wait for one to arrive, even at Amazon super-speed.

There are also likely computers on board that the passengers can use for various things like email and facebook updates and so on, and you may be able to plug in a card reader and your backup drive to one of them and get the job done that way. It may well be prohibited to prevent passengers from getting viruses into their computers, either accidentally or on purpose. Contact someone with the cruise line to find out if that's a real possibility.

I personally would just take the laptop.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info. I may have found a solution that still involves carrying a "laptop." I have a Chromebook that I realize has a card reader and USB, so I can probably load the pictures that way. The Chromebook is a lot lighter and slimmer than my MacBook Pro!

Most reactions

Back